Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

My thought half-way through the jam.

A topic by papercookies created Mar 19, 2017 Views: 396 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted

This is really fun. I feel like I'm much more able to make something because I'm just a lot less hung up around graphics. I feel like can really push some boundaries. It's also a really nice challenge to try and work around the fact that transparency isn't really an option (I know we can use other programs for this, but I'm going full paint on this one.) I'm through most of what I wanted to do so I'm just going to work on sound and polish tomorrow. I have no clue how I'm going to do sound yet, but the voice sounds option sounds intriguing.

How are all of you holding up?

Submitted

My half-assed knowlege of Unity limited me on what I really wanted to do. But so far I'm enjoying doing my first jam,

Submitted

Hey show a screenshot or something :D I would like to see those "full paint mode" graphics (I'm going full paint mode too)

This is my game for now (a little local multiplayer arena)

The gameplay is almost ready. Tomorrow I want to make selectable characters, UI and sounds (I will use Audacity and my mic).
I'm asking to my friends to make "paint masterpieces" as characters to include in the game. I think it will be fun...

For me, I'm honestly surprised by what I've come out. Or, at least it's coming out looking a lot better than what I expected, haha, I've got the main basis down, now comes the balancing and fixing up a few bugs. Rotation is a tad annoying, seeing how MS Paint can only rotate 90 degrees at a time, so if you want any less than 90, you need to draw the whole thing again at that angle. I'm planning to achieve a lot of the challenges minus the 3d and the standard palette colours.

Overall, I'm having great fun, wondering why my MS Paint animations are better than when I use piskel or another alternative and I hope I can get a genuinely fun game in the process

Submitted (1 edit)

I've been enjoying the jam quite a bit for the same reasons as Papercookies, I'm just getting what resembles what I'd imagined in my head and rolling with it.

My overall idea was a minigame/microgame endurance style project made with GameMaker: Studio. It's been coming along pretty well so far, with the only real issues I've hit (besides one error I managed to fix by pure luck) being caused by my own silly mistakes or oversights.

I have cheated in a way though, using the built in sprite editor within GameMaker to achieve transparency on the JPEGs that needed it. I feel bad for doing it, but for some of the objects in my game it just wouldn't have been possible to keep transparency away. One example of this is bubbles rising from the bottom of the screen that the player has to pop. The bubbles sometimes overlay each other, which would be even more difficult to see if there was no transparency around the circle shape.

Teaser for one of my more fleshed out minigames/microgames

Submitted

I just released my entry. Here's a screenshot:

It's called tomochesti. It's a tomodachi kind of game where you have to train and grow a treasure chest in order to get cool items. I think I really nailed it with the doodle-ish art style. I wish I'd give myself more time to work on sound though. I just mashed something toghether in FL studio real quick. But I like how it turned out. Show me your treasurary if you decide to check it out. :p