Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions Thread Sticky

A topic by Ashlyn, Goth cat hugger created Feb 19, 2019 Views: 1,134 Replies: 24
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Jam HostSubmitted

Feel free to ask questions here (so others can see the answers) or on the twitter with the hashtag #overtimecats

(+1)

I've got a question!

Is there a single thing that CaliCo does as a company? What type of work do people do there?

I'm picturing something Aggretsuko-like where the workers are always busy doing abstract "work" and it's unclear what that means, but if there is a set canon for that I'd like to know! :3

HostSubmitted(+2)

Hey hi! Cali Co is a bit of an everything company that also changes its focus regularly, so pretty much anything goes (and different stories can still be canonical even if they appear to be contradicting each other). You can specify what your characters are doing, or you can keep it abstract—it's up to you!

The company also leases a lot of building space to other companies (the first few floors of which are public-facing in an open, mall-like area) so if you want your story to focus on a smaller organization, you can go that way too! ^^

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

So you can also write about a company that is being contracted by Cali Co (helping with IT, manufacturing, cleaning  or  furnishing the office) or has leased out office space in Cali Co's main building or maybe a Company that is working together with Cali Co and you have been sent there as part of a Liaison team.

Deleted 3 years ago
Jam HostSubmitted

they might own a warehouse near their main office where the same rules apply , it is up to you to sell the idea with your writing ;)

Submitted(+1)

What is a cat?

• A pile of fur. Comes in layers.
  • Many small teeth for chewing on important wires
  • Wavy tail useful for brushing up against noses
  • Zero consideration for personal space when you could be feeding them
  • Beans

What are their secrets? How does one unlock them?

(+1)

Unlocking the secrets of cats involves a long quest chain that starts deep in the mountains of Liechtenstein, by speaking to an old woman wearing a silver brooch.

But we're in a hurry so we're going to glitch to the end of the quest line by falling asleep in the Cali Co. building.

Jam HostSubmitted

The secret is in the beans, beans so soft and springy but we must not touch.

I have a question! Is this a strictly human (and animal/human) world, or would a sort of modern fantasy setting be acceptable?

Jam HostSubmitted(+2)

For the sake of a potential anthology we have (Zandra and co) decided that the world is basically our own e.g. humans,  normal animals and our time period).

But there is room for exception to a degree,  if folks wanna run with a wild idea, they should go for it (knowing that it's less likely to be considered for the collection), also with the added detail that stories can be set pretty much anywhere in time when an office building would make sense, like with the neat concept of a 50's take on it or in the future (within reason), that can easily fall into "Cali Co history" sort of thing.

if you can tie it back so it actually fits with the setting and could work as "one story in the same building everyone's writing about" then sure, the goal is a shared setting, so if you can make it work there, yes.

Submitted

If this is a shared universe, I like the idea of having a couple of constant characters.  Tom and Tabby could be the HR department and could show up in different stories. 

HostSubmitted(+1)

Feel free to coordinate with other writers if you'd like to have characters in common, but this is absolutely not a requirement! I prefer leaving actual characters completely to the authors and instead emphasize just how ever-changing Cali Co is to ensure maximum narrative freedom. ^^

Submitted

Awesome thanks!

Submitted
Deleted 2 years ago
HostSubmitted(+1)

Oh there's absolutely no exclusivity, share away! For the resulting anthology (provided we have everything we need to make it happen), there would be a layer of editing/presentation on top of the original jam submission, and that version will probably have some light exclusivity stuff to work out. But what you're making for this jam is public and meant to be shared. ^^

Submitted
Deleted 2 years ago
Submitted

Hi! So I've already written two stories down and have a few more cooking in my noggin. Is that cool if I submit an inhuman (ha) number of entries?

Jam HostSubmitted

Sure, but It may be best if you compile them in a single submission, a mini anthology of your own, to not crowd the submissions for others.

Submitted

Beautiful! Sounds fun!

Submitted

Hey, quick question about lewdness- I get the impression only G/PG material is the desired level of adult for this jam though I thought I'd maybe try to get some clarification for that line if possible.  Apologies if this was written down somewhere or if this comes off as a rude question.

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

The story should be roughly PG-13 .  
"we were shooting for all ages/PG sort of thing for the anthology like can totally be mature, just no open lewdness or violence or swearing and such" - Zandra

We want both adults and teens to be able to enjoy these stories.

Submitted

Is it ok to submit a game that tells the story?

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

It is ok for a submission , however it will be be ineligible to be selected for the potential anthology.  - Ashlyn & Zandra

I am still working on a short story for this, but was wondering if you had anyone editing submissions for the anthology? If you need additional editors I would be happy to help out.

Jam HostSubmitted

Zandra seemed somewhat interested in the help last I checked, "Oh nice! I have an editor in mind but it never hurts to know more!"

Submitted

Are there rules about changing one's entry after the jam has ended?  (There were a couple things that bothered me a bit about my story, and I just realized something I could have done differently.  Maybe.  Not entirely sure.)

Jam HostSubmitted

shouldn't remove you from having done the jam so i say do it