SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

NES Puzzle Maker

A topic by Bardon created Aug 29, 2022 Views: 209 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 3

Is NES Puzzle Maker allowed?

HostSubmitted

if it outputs a ROM that is compatible with the compo it is. Do you know the mapper used by the tool?

no, but it works on more emulators than nesmaker. tell me please a emulator on which my game must run

HostSubmitted

Which emulator it runs in doesn't matter; it's about the hardware configuration of the ROM itself. It looks like NES Puzzle Maker using NROM, which is allowed in the competition!

Here are some rules specific to NROM to make it compatible with the Multi-Cart that we release at the end of this:

• NROM-128: Be careful not to write to $8000-$FFFF. Test with a breakpoint on writes to ROM.
  • NROM, CNROM: Be careful not to overwrite CHR ROM. Test with a breakpoint on writes to PPU $0000-$1FFF.
  • NROM, CNROM, ANROM, BNROM: $FFD0-$FFF9 of each 32K PRG ROM bank must be unused.

You will need to reach out to the NES Puzzle Maker creator (https://twitter.com/cppchriscpp) as see it the tool breaks any of those rules. It will not be an issue for entering the competition, but it will only be an issue with getting your game on the "Action 53"-style multi-cart (if we ever get one put out).

Good luck!

Submitted

For the record, I'm not the original dev of Retro Puzzle Maker but I have put together a project in it (GRAVEYARD DUDE), and am currently working on a second, that involve heavily changing the code of the base and as such have been in pretty regular contact with Chris, the Retro Puzzle Maker dev to share code. Anyway, I can confirm that it conforms to the requirements. I've even managed to successfully add GRAVEYARD DUDE to a multicart (Super Mario Bros + Duck Hunt, basically the original multicart!) in a previous experiment developing multicart ROMs myself.

Submitted

Thank you for the information. I want to join with my NES Puzzle Maker game too, which I've finished in April this year :-)

HostSubmitted

FYI: There was a big update to NES Puzzle Maker which improves what can be done with it. See the full update here: https://puzzle.nes.science/home

• Customize the HUD! (top area) All features can be toggled, and custom graphics can be used
  • Add up to 14 custom "Other" screens to introduce your team, tell your story, introduce mechanics, or show more credits
  • Better custom music support: up to 16 songs, played at any time! (Music size limit upped to 10kb, too)
  • New tile types: walkable holes, and collapsible tiles (become a hole after being walked over once)
  • Level review screen, allowing you to switch the order of levels, and see all of them at a glance
  • For developers: Switched game engine to create-nes-game, allowing one-command builds on windows and linux. No more downloading and setting up cygwin, make or any of that messiness. It should just work!

NOTE: As of 1.4.0 there is a special "flag" you need to set in order to make the ROM compatible with this competition. ROMs made with NES Puzzle Maker prior to 1.4 are compatible as well.