Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Myst Jam FAQs Sticky

A topic by Sophie Houlden created Dec 27, 2015 Views: 3,623 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 4
HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+1)
  • Can I start planning before the beginning of the jam?
    • Yes, if you want to.
  • Could I even start making the game early?
    • Sure.
  • Can I work in a team?
    • Yep
  • Does it have to have the same gameplay as Myst?
    • No, whatever "Inspired by Myst" means to you is fine
  • Do I need to have played Myst?
    • No, even if you have a vague idea of Myst - you can work from that
  • Even if my idea of what Myst is like is totally wrong?
    • Yep
  • Will there be voting/judging/ranking/prizes?
    • Nope, no competition. Just people making games and stuff :)

Basically you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't break the rules. (Don't be mean, don't submit games that weren't made for this jam)

Whatever you think will make the jam fun for you, do that. :)

If you are still unsure about anything, feel free to ask here, or ask me on twitter.

(+1)

If I'm a sound designer, how do I join a team?

HostSubmitted(+2)

Well itch does have a forum for finding collaborators though I don't know how many people check it right now: http://itch.io/board/10020/help-wanted

Also you can ask around on twitter (I'll make a tweet myself pointing here, hopefully you'll find someone)

Also also if you want; you don't really need to submit a game to the jam - you could make some compositions inspired by myst and submit them to the jam yourself, maybe offer to let others use your music in their jam games if you want?

I know it can be tough for audio folk to find developers to work with, but I do hope you can find someone and have a good time with the jam :)

(+2)

Thank You Sophie! These are some great solutions. I appreciate the help!

Submitted

If you have an eerie space alien ambient music track I'd be happy to put it in my submission and give proper credit ;)

Sure! I do! How long do you need it and what file type?

Submitted

Excellent!

~1 minute and MP3 is fine although I'd probably convert to ogg vorbis.

I'd be happy to send you a link to the current rough prototype :)

Submitted(+1)

Hope to get a few of my game design students to join this! Comics, card/board games ok?

HostSubmitted(+1)

Yep! Any kind of game you want to make is fine! :)

Submitted

Hi! I just want to know if demo versions is allowed, I want to participate but I don't know if I will have sufficient time to finish the game completely.

Thanks in advance.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Yep, if your game is incomplete and you still want to submit it - that is definitely OK :)

Submitted

Great!!

Submitted(+1)

Cool! Luminy, can't wait to see your project or demo. Anyway it's quite difficult to release a complete Myst game before the 18th (by 'complete' I mean a game with several hours of gameplay - just like Myst). I wonder if some participants are working on it by teams and since several weeks already. When was the Jam announced originally? We only discovered it late on a French magazine.

HostSubmitted(+1)

I announced the jam in early December I think. Anyway the jam is specifically for making myst games, rather "games inspired by myst" (but if someone wants to make something especially myst-like that's super cool too of course!) so yeah I wouldn't expect anything several hours in length unless someone is doing something procedural.

Submitted

Thanks Icehouse for your encourage, also I can't wait to see your entry ;-)