Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Question Regarding Limitation

A topic by JewelKnightZero created Jun 29, 2020 Views: 359 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(+1)

Hi there, this is my first game jam so sorry for the rookie question. Does the 128x image limitation for textures include UI elements and text? or is that separate?

Thanks in advance

Submitted(+1)

I'm also concerned about the limitations. What about a background? Is that not allowed?

Jam Host(+1)

You’ll have to fit a background within your 128x128 sprite sheet. Try stitching bits and pieces of it together. Color swapping in engine is also allowed, so you can do palette swaps on the fly.

Submitted

I also have question regarding the limitation.
How about changing color like in Unity? (For example, when get hit, player's sprite become more red, more transparent, etc) Does it needs to be in different sprite? or can I use only 1 sprite for those?

Jam Host(+1)

You only need 1 sprite for that. Color swapping and general visual effects in engine are allowed and encouraged.

Jam Host(+1)

The limitation includes UI elements, but not text (that would just be unfair).

Submitted

Does that mean you can't use procedural graphics, like a 2D rectangle drawing function, all of the graphics must be from your 128x128 texture?

Jam Host

Procedural graphics are allowed. So any drawing functions you have are totally viable.

is it also allowed to manipulate the loaded images (palette swapping, changing pixels, merging parts of tiles, rotating mirroring)

Jam Host

Yes all of that is allowed.

I have a question. So do I make a 128 by 128 pixel sheet and all the textures have to fit in it?

yeah :)

yes