SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Entry: Invasion of the Jackasses

A topic by jcmonkey created Dec 20, 2015 Views: 551 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 14
(+1)
Random Game Seed: 92115900605
Random Game Idea: An artillery game where you prepare for donkeys, and you have to stop them.
Qualifiers: the genre was like art, but i figured artillery was perfect for this one
Title: Invasion of the Jackasses
Idea: what i can probably do with this is shoot bombs from a cannon at incoming donkeys. or do an angry birds style game where i shoot bombs at donkeys and stuff. :D
Host

Haha, sounds awesome! I bet tower defense would be a good format for this, too!

you know i didnt think of that.

(+1)

Im going to try and stream every day. Im going to start tonight to get the sound and video right, then ill start designing my game and setting up the game environment.

you can find my stream at, http://www.twitch.tv/jcmonkey

Tools that i will be using:

Unity for game engine, with c#

Inkscape for drawing

spriter for some animations

gimp for any other art stuff

Lmms for music

Audacity for audio editing

-What is the game?
the game is a tower defense style artillary shooter where you need to suppress
the incoming onslaught of donkeys.

-donkeys follow a path
-donkeys come in one at a time
-donkeys may come in groups, or individually

-place turrets and assets along the path to stop the incoming donkeys

-you win the level by killing all the incoming donkeys
-you lose the level by letting more then half get by

-you gain resourses by killing donkeys, or harvesting the area

-resources let you buy new assets or upgrade current ones

Calling it a night here, day one was a success.

Got the environment all setup, and got the donkey code working.

So the donkeys come in, they follow the path, and they get despawned at the end if you let them by.

So all is good.

For now...

(+1)

going live right now on http://www.twitch.tv/jcmonkey to begin day 2

ok going to be going live for the REAL day 2, got my bearings mixed up a bit. :D

http://www.twitch.tv/jcmonkey

(+1)

so yeah. im having too many issues with the towers in this tower defense style. i think im going to switch back to my original idea and just lob things at incoming donkeys.

Problems:

-when i click on a board spot, it Instantiates an object

-this object shares the same code script between them all.

-i dont know a way to force each tower to act independently of events that happen in other towers.

-if the first tower reacts to an event, the other towers need to not react to it, but this is harder then it seems.

-i got it working some what, but there are so many bugs when i start to add more towers that i just get a headache trying to fix this.

i created a monster and i dont have a way to fix it.

so im going to go back to my original idea of one launcher doing all the shooting, and not multiple ones.

at least this way i can properly control the shooting and synchronization properly.

i dont know everything about unity, so fixing this escapes me at this time, and i want to finish a game by the end of the week so this is my only solution at the moment.

im taking the rest of the night off, be back tomorrow with the new game design.

ok, because i dont like quiting, or just giving up on something, im going to give this one last day. i got an idea to redesign the tower into a better state machine, and this should keep the bugs out. or at least i hope.

so the day 3 stream will begin shortly.

oh and i had a few snafus with monodevelop, and had to switch to a different code editor. :/

ok so that new state machine worked and fixed the first problem.

now, there is a new problem. the towers only shoot one at a time. and they bug out when they cant shoot. :/

(+1)

yeah, nothing i do to it works while its all acting under the same thread. and unfortunatly i dont know anything about multithreading in unity.

so i will definatly be scraping the multiple towers style tower defense and make it so i dont have fight with synchronization issues.

i have no idea what i will be doing with this atm, i will get back to you all on this.

Host

Don't wear yourself out! Lobbing stuff is probably more fun than tower defense anyway, honestly. :)

i am going to work on the game today, but no streaming. my head cold got worse and i cant stop sneezing and sniffling. :(

ill try and stream tomorrow.

ok so ive been feeling kind of crappy because of my head cold, but i will be streaming later on, and i am in the process of salvaging my old game code into the new one.

due to real life issues i have to postpone the making of this game.

i wont be able to make the deadline, but i will still make the game and post it to the site at a later time.

i wish i could have finished, but some things happened that i need to take care of.

sorry for any inconvenience.

Host

Sorry to hear that, but don't let a game jam burn you out—real life is way more important!

I hope all goes well with you!

Goodluck with whatever stuff is happening in real life, and I'll be sure to check out what you've made when it's finished!