Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

RPG Maker 2003 Patches/Engine mods

A topic by Cachi Córdova created Jul 10, 2022 Views: 790 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+1)

Is stuff like using Maniac Patch for 2k3 allowed? I think I read somewhere that it violates RPG Maker 2003's EULA but I may be wrong.

Jam Host

The engines that are allowed are the vanilla (unmodded) versions of the ones listed in rule 4. You can read the full list of rules here. :)
RULES

Submitted

That does make me wonder though. If a plugin/script changes how the core engine works to the point that it has the same effect as some of these mods/patches, are they allowed? In fact, are plugins and scripts allowed at all since often do change how the engine works?

Submitted

The RM2k3 EULA and this jam's rules are two separate entities, so I want to comment a bit on the former:

The Rm2k3 Maniacs patch, as well as several others, are actually perfectly legal and EULA-compliant! That's because a few years ago RM2k3 got an EULA update that, to some extent which I'm not equipped to confirm, allowed users to create and use engine patches. I think it may even be the only RPG Maker engine where you can actually do that! You'll definitely have to confirm with a more reliable source, however.

Once again though, engine EULAs and competition rules are different entities, and KOMODO (or anyone who hosts a game jam) is entitled to permit and disallow beyond the restrictions of each RPG Maker's EULA.

Host(+2)

You are correct. The Maniacs patch will be allowed as it is allowed under the EULA.

Host(+2)

Maniacs patch would be allowed as it is allowed under the 2k3 EULA and there is no rule prohibiting in it in the IGMC rules.