Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What do you feel is the essence of HQ_Resi? (Discussion)

A topic by Alex with D. created Nov 30, 2020 Views: 663 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted (5 edits)

Hello to everyone,

I've been pondering about what other people think the essence of the HQ_Residential_House asset is.

Since this is a mostly a gamedev (& John Wolfe viewer) insiders joke, let's try and discuss this to broaden our view a bit and inspire those participating in the jam.

I'll start the thread off. 

For me HQ_Resi bears the charm of different conflicting ideas. The original layout from the asset creator vs the visions of the gamedev.

Example: Horror protagonist (single) lives in a big surburban family house by themselves. The furniture doesn't match the protagonist.
Example: The house is haunted by ancient spirits, despite the house looking modern and clean.
Example: Unused rooms. Soullessness...

So,  what do you feel is the essence of HQ_Residential_House?

Hope you'll join the discussion. :-)

(+1)

Thanks for starting this topic! I think the essence of HQ_Resi is that player recognition of it in a game then shapes players expectations of the game. As in, if a player recognizes that the indie horror game they are playing is using HQ_Resi without any modifications, then the expectation is that it is a lazily made game. More recently, I think the expectation (and maybe more hope) is that newly made indie games using HQ_Resi will work harder to subvert players expectations.

Submitted

Right-right, expectations are a big part of the identity of this asset!
Here's the tricky part: What if a player doesn't know HQ_Resi? It's probably not going to be a big issue in this niche jam, but if someone were to design a game around the expectation that the player knows the house (and that being the main appeal of the game), that would exclude a lot of players from enjoying, I think. At least, in a commercial sense.

Host(+1)

ooooo this is a good idea! We didn't want to make purchasing the asset a requirement, as we didn't want the cost to prohibit anyone from participating, so hopefully this thread helps inspire some ideas. I'll throw in my perspective from making "The Open House" but you basically already nailed the two large points I was attempting to capture in that game, in regards to the house. 

The first was using the default layout, as people are so familiar with it now. I wanted people to walk in to that house and feel like they had been there before. I think for the jam, you could recreate the house using other assets or aesthetic styles and it would still be instantly recognizable upon entry. 

The second was what the house "represented" so far in the indie scene. Basically the types of games it's used in and what the themes of those games usually are. You could, in theory, have your game take place in another suburban environment (like a neighbor) or deal with the aftermath of an event that occurred in the "HQ_Residential_House!" 

But! Be as creative with your interpretation as you want or need to be! You're not limited to a genre, physical environment, aesthetic style or anything! If HQ_Residential_House makes you want to make a visual novel with Match-3 style gameplay, do it up! 

Submitted

Having this jam happening is wonderful! Thanks for this :-) (Extending my thanks to  Breogán and John, too)

Also glad that you decided to join this thread, I was a little worried about how far I could stretch my interpretation of the word 'essence'. It seems everything from physical layout, to the themes attached to this asset, are valid options.

I am a huge fan, I've played your recent games, loved the C.H.A.I.N. and I've been watching John play your older games. Amazing team and fantastic visuals. Feel lucky to know you and especially participate in this Jam. Thanks!!

Host

hey thank you, you’re too kind! Glad to have you in the jam!

I am just literally dust on the window shelf, your games are more than inspiring, recently I've been watching the new releases and some ideas are, I think beyond the level of other games. Very stylish!

Submitted(+1)

One thing I've been thinking recently goes along with that "charm of different conflicting ideas", but instead from a sort of homeowner-versus-HOA perspective if that makes sense? Like, when I look at the house, especially from the outside, I just instantly think of those often-gated "communities" of nearly-identical houses often under an HOA if I'm not mistaken (sorry if I'm not wholly clear, I'm just a student from rural Ohio, so I don't have a whole lotta' knowledge about housing lol). And so, to me at least, the essence feels like that conflict of what "you" as a "homeowner" want in a home and what your idea of home is, versus the idea of what an HOA would impose, and its idea of forcing community through restriction. Part of this comes from how little customization is done in some games, and part of that comes from how much I'm just reminded of those HGTV house-flipping shows. I have some other thoughts about the essense in the back of my mind but they're not as clear at the minute.

- Lightling

Submitted

Take your time with those last cloudy thoughts. :-)

Interesting. Your post actually sparked some ideas here:

Imagine a Sims-like. You're building your dream-home --> Some [unknown] outside force is slowly turning your creation into HQ_Resi (Maybe it's the HOA). You can either fight it, or become a part of THE COMMUNITY, losing your identity in the process. Dun-dun-dun!

(1 edit) (+1)

I've read all of the comments and frankly speaking it's a very interesting subject matter. 

First of all, thanks for the topic started and for creating this game Jam. For me, reasons being here are to prove that original ideas mixed with old fashioned popular genres (e.g. horror, thriller, detective, psychological, puzzle) can be applied to an specific "Asset" for the games. Fortunately, (not because of a cost)I am using blender, which no one uses nowadays. I will (after the game Jam starts) try to recreate the entire house and of course the theme , which I chose - investigation and psychological thriller, by doing this it shows that you don't need the Unity Or UE programs or any other well-known asset packs to make something special. I guess what I want to say is, "HQ_Residential" House is an irony to those who want to make good playable games by making (let's say this gently)less effort, but somehow end up being pretty great. As for the meaning of the game, that is of course confidential (well, not that I don't want to reveal the game, just, too tangled to figure out the main story myself, lol), but the house itself is a character (as once great John Wolfe said). 

P.S. the one thing I can say about my approach is that SH and Cry of Fear are most influential for me. Also...for 7 years, since I've been watching John Wolfe make amazing content, I dreamt of him playing my game (the whole reason why I started my own game studio 2 years ago). If that happens, my dream will definitely come true and thanks for that opportunity. 

Submitted

Yeah, it's funny how this asset has a sort of character of its own. Sometimes a symbol of irony, sometimes just plain time-saver on the devs part. Now, what if this asset actually became a character...What would HQ_Resi tell us if it could talk? :O

Also, when you're referring to Blender, are you talking about it as the modelling software or the (now removed) game engine?  

Well, as I mentioned, I would not give something supernatural to the house, or maybe character development. It's more like a place, which consumes the pain and failure of the past and can be a redemption for the future...Yeah, basically that's the metaphor of my planned game. 

Now, about BGE, it was removed, the new version is only modeling software, but there is BGE program on its own. I just use the old 2.79 version, which still has the game logic and python options and honestly, it makes my games very different, I am not saying it's the best quality or the aspect of realism is mind-bending, but it is different and also the fact that I have to remake the ENTIRE house, just makes me excited. Good Luck to all! 

Submitted

Yay! A fellow BGE user! That's the engine I'm comfortable with, so I'll be using that as well. :)

(+1)

Wow, that's an exciting surprise. Because, usually, when I say that I use BGE or blender in general, I kind of get bullied :D, like not extremely, but lot's of other gamedevs prefer Unity and other modeling software. 

Submitted

It's not a game engine that can compete with the Unity or UE, but if you know the old blender already it's quite comfortable to work with. At some point I'll probably switch to something more reliable, but for now, I'm good with this option. It's good for prototyping and primitive-looking 3d games. :) Like this one: