SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions about the Jam + 1 Suggestion.

A topic by ChosenPlay created Mar 31, 2020 Views: 330 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+2)

Let me start with the suggestion:
If there's cash in the prize.. partecipant shouldn't be allowed to decide the winner.. it should be decided by the sponsors.

Now for the question:

Why are we supposed to share the source code?

Can any free asset be used or should we draw / record our own?

Submitted (3 edits) (+1)

Opinion: I think that no one better than the participants (valid and not just registered) to judge or winner. It is valid sponsors can also vote.

- The only candidates for voting may include: Participants cannot vote for their own games.

I believe that, in order to verify the authenticity or whatever the reason, only the [winner] must present its source code showing the author and owner of the game, there is no reason to expose the code of all others just for having participated.

One question: after the 6th, how long does it take to play the animated games? ... and when will the voting day be?

Submitted (4 edits)

I disagree with your opinion but I want to explain why.

If someone is going for the cash prize.. nothing stops them to just vote all of the other games with a 1 in every category even tho they can't vote for their own... or even worse don't vote at all? That means that the results would not be "honest" anyway. 

Or what would happen if someone would make friends join the jam just for the voting even tho they're not going to actually submit or they submit some piece of trash?

I have already seen this happen in jams with no money at stake so...

When money is at stake the only "above the parts" opinion is the one of the guy (guys) putting the money in because it's in his(their) best interest to give those money to who deserves it since they're putting those in.

Submitted

I didn't see the "categories" part of the rules, so I thought that each participating team, voting only once, in a game (other than their own), seemed fair. - If we have 50 games registered and 5 sponsors, it would be (50 + 5) votes to be distributed among the participants - The most voted, wins.

But I think it is better to wait for the responsible person's opinion: "Rodrigo Antunes"    =)

Submitted

Even if there're not categories.. the worst case shenario would be someone having friends joining them jam so that they can vote 1 to all games but his own.. then the results would just be trashy :)

And yeah I agree in waiting for his opinion :)

Submitted

Ok... I understand your point of view.

Host

Hello, how are you?
Thanks for the suggestion and I will answer the questions:

"One question: after the 6th, how long does it take to play the animated games? ... and when will the voting day be?"
- 11/04/2020 (11 of March)

And yes, I will analyze because your question is right, I can let the public choose the two other places and the first place will analyze according to the public's choices and of course after playing the games.

The source code is just for me to know and analyze if it is an original game and made by the user.

I liked the healthy speech they had respecting their opinions.

Submitted (1 edit)

Hello Rodrigo, thank you for taking note and for your answers :)
And to answer your own question... in quarantine.. so studying and coding a lot xD

Didn't answer the question about assets tho... should we do all assets ourselves or can we use assets on the net? :)

Thanks again.

Host

Yes, you can use free assets

Yeah!

Submitted

Ok, ty :)

:thinking: Were going back in time to vote? Im just joking, but uh, your typo might confuse a few people, you meant 11 of april

My personal opinion is that you shouldn't worry about a game being cloned in the jam. It is extremely incommon and, even if it happens, gamedevs know A LOT of games and they will call it out. I usually use my game jam games for commercial purposes and this rule is a problem to me, but if it isn't a problem for other people, it's ok and I can think about a game that won't have any commercial value.

About the "bad manners" of people voting down other games, I don't know... I have participated in jams with prizes and the best games were still at the top. With a lot of voters, the best tend to stay on top. But yeah... I guess having charisma is part of the event as well.

The rules are not clear to me as well: Who decides the biggest winners and how is it decided? The easiest ways are through the itch.io voting system or through a jury. But the criteria and rules have to be known.

Host

Okay, i understand and i think the same.

The public will decide the 1, 2 and 3 place  and the minimicro creator will vote in minimicro games.

IF I SEE SOME INCOHERENCE BETWEEN THE CHOOSED GAMES AND THE FIRST PLACE IN DESIGN ASPECT OR THERE IS PUBLIC CONFIDENCE IN RELATION TO THE HONESTY OF THE FIRST PLACE, WE WILL ANALYZE AND TAKE ACTIONS TO FIND THE FIRST PLACE.

Fair enough! Thanks.

I think not to because of the cash because people vote for there friends and there friends there so I agree with you.