Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Commenting but not rating?

A topic by SpectralShark created May 30, 2023 Views: 322 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted(+1)

So, I saw this on my game today where several people made comments, but only one of them rated. I understand not rating if something doesn't work, but is it usual to leave a comment (even saying you enjoyed the game) and not rate? What about the other way around, rating but not commenting (I did that, but I've been pushing to get to as many games as I can)

Sorry if the questions are dumb, its my first game jam.

Anyways, here's the link if anyone wants to check it out

https://itch.io/jam/gamedevtv-jam-2023/rate/2091823

I've rated 39 games today. Went through more, but a few were not working, hopefully they can fix them up. I'll be at it again tomorrow, but now I'm tired and going to bed.

Submitted (1 edit)

Hi! i've rated your game, I don't know why people comment and don't vote. I think the most rated probably go to the top of the page if you use the "most rated" filter. So more votes = even more votes.

This is our game! enjoy it https://itch.io/jam/gamedevtv-jam-2023/rate/2094140

Submitted(+3)

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me there have been a few times where I did the ratings for a game, then wrote a comment and forgot to click the Save rating button first. Normally I catch the mistake and do it properly, but twice I've been browsing through submissions, noticed a game I definitely did play and thought I rated and have it not displayed as rated. Of course I went and rated those immediately, but now I'm really worried there are others I've missed.

If it helps, I definitely rated yours!

Submitted

Good work rating so many games - that's a big effort. Will make sure I check out and review yours just for that.

Submitted

Could well be what Satinel says, I've had that a couple of times. That said, there do seem to be a lot of fake comments. The number 3 most rated game, for example, has mass spammed 244 comments sections complimenting and saying they've rated games but haven't as they're also making the same comments on games that don't work and have 0 ratings. Makes my blood boil when so many are genuinely trying to help each other with honest feedback. So probably a combination of itch.io UI being a bit wonky and comment spam.

Submitted

I really hope that sort of deliberate dishonesty carries a penalty, I really hate that kind of thing. I understand a mistake being made or wonky UI, but deliberately lying to 200+ people just to get your own game rated is disgusting.

Submitted

'just to get your own game rated' It's not just that, they're using the gamejam for popularity. Say on average 5% of people care to check your itch page, more spam = more views = more possible followers, and it clearly works to some degree.

Submitted

What you're saying makes sense. Its my first Jam, so learning a lot, not just about gamedev but also these kinds of things.

Submitted

I just played and rated your game - good job on it - love the shifting.

if you get a chance, here is my game- Rate Mirror Mirror by repeatloader for The GameDev.tv Game Jam 2023 - Free Course For All Submissions! - itch.io

Submitted

Just played and rated yours too. Those moving platforms, they are the true enemy :D

Submitted

Sadly, I could see stuff like this getting worse as people start combining macros with AI-driven responses. Perhaps itch should show a record of how much time someone played a game when they comment, kind of like how on Steam you can see playtime in someone's review.

Submitted

ps - ive had 20-30 downloads, but only like 12 ratings -- alot of people aren't rating for some reason, i think they lose track of where the page is for the game they played...   

Submitted

I changed my game to webgl, its easier for people to play and rate. Its easy to convert in Unity, not sure about Unreal.

Submitted (1 edit)

I didn't even see a webgl option in unreal -- unless there is an add-on to allow it, not sure it does  :/

ps i set a follow on you incase in future we can message for asset or other things.  

Submitted

How can you see if people have rated your game or not? 

Submitted(+1)

You can't see if a specific person rated your game, but if someone comments that they've rated a game and the page says "Rated by 0 people so far" it's clear that something isn't right.