Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What do you look for in a game?

A topic by Mic created Jun 01, 2020 Views: 319 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

My team and I are trying as many submissions as we can - by the way great job everyone, we found a few that are ridicolously COOL for a 30-day long developing time span! 

We found out that sometimes the same game appeals very differently to the three of us, with some being great for me and totally indifferent for the others, and vice versa.

We were discussing this and found out we seek very different things when playing a game. For example, what I look for is a challenge. My team mate seeks distraction and my other team mate looks for a narrative.

What do you guys play for? What do you really like in games?

HostSubmitted

Something that makes me feel like I earned the result. My personal favorite games are systemic and my own non-jam projects all have systemic design, which unfortunately means their scope is quite high D:

Submitted

I totally get that!

Does it work better when there's competition with other players? For example, I find myself way more stimulated when my score (or time, etc) is in a leaderboard with others. I used to think about it as a rule, but now I see it really depends on the personality of your players. 

Submitted

It's probably cause it's a very subjective opinion.

I on the other hand, being a completely objective person myself(unnecessary I know, i'm just testing your grammar), am gonna give a rational and logical conclusion to your query.

Nothing much other than the fact that is it fun to play. Good music, art work, mechanic, that's all there too, but I just need to have fun.

This isn't tp say I have my preferences. I like RPG and Strategy and even some good music.

Submitted

And honestly, when RPGs have good music it's just the best. Playing gets contemplative. I love it.

Submitted

Hell yeah.

Submitted(+1)

Personally, I love a sense of achievement. In game achievements often satisfy this most easily but sometimes a meta-game earning something from one part of a game that impacts another really satisfies this as well :)
A great story can also make an average game absolutely fantastic and immersive for me!

Submitted(+2)

My answer will vary daily, possibly hourly. Such a hard question to answer.

Submitted

Finding the right game for your mood is so important. Sometimes it's a 3rd person shooting frenzy sometimes it's Sudoku. All fair to me.