Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Wall Generation

A topic by isabelle adena kestrel created Jun 04, 2019 Views: 221 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

Does anyone have any insight into how the walls are generated in Cinco Paus? I'd like to do something similar but I don't even know where to begin with that...I can make them appear randomly without issue, but I'm not sure how to ensure there aren't too many or that a bunch of tiles end up inaccessible because they're completely squared off.

For the sake of actually finishing by the deadline, I may just end up going with a Spelunky-like approach (design a bunch of levels by hand and add/remove a handful of walls at runtime), but I thought I'd at least pose the question in case anyone has some really smart and fast way of implementing this that I wasn't aware of.

(3 edits) (+1)

I would suggest you going with premade levels, or a random combiantion of premade parts.  Firstly, nobody will notice, people play gamejam games about 5-15 mins, so it is hard to see procedural generation. Secondly, it is way easier and since you ask this question it would definately be a challenge in itself. 
But anyway, to generate something like this, you can use any of the maze generation algorithms. They are pretty straightforward.  After that choose a random number of how many walls you want to leave in level and simply delete a random wall until you have that many walls.

Submitted(+1)

I agree with Alex, I think the walls are designed using a maze generation algorithm then randomly clearing some walls from the maze to make it more open.

Submitted

I agree that premade levels are fine for now. I'll check out those maze generation algorithms post-jam if I'm feeling like it's worth the time investment.

Thanks for the replies!