Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

My first game ! Time Crawler

A topic by Iknowcturne created Aug 04, 2020 Views: 643 Replies: 20
Viewing posts 1 to 13
Submitted(+4)

Hello everyone, first of all good luck to all of us for your games creations !

I’m a new Unity dev and it’s the first time I participate a GameJ am.

Let me introduce you my game : Time Crawler !  

My game is a dungeon crawler where every door you use lead you to a random room full of enemies, treasure, gold and time crystals !

This is how I wanted to approach the jam theme. Not original I agree but I wanted a dungeon crawler game inspired by games like “Binding of Isaac”, “Enter the gungeon”, etc. My rewind feature is this :

You start with 3 crystal shards ( and you can collect some during your run ! ) which allow you to get back in the last room you visited ! This mean a back in the past ! So every enemies, every items that you can buy will respawn too ! This can lead to some strategies like :

Enter a “shop “ room, buy some items but you don’t have enough gold to purchase them all,

Enter the next room by the door, kill some enemies and grind some golds then you can spend a crystal to get back in the shop room with some fresh golds to spend !

But beware ! Every room your enter or get back in (!!) will make your player a step closer from that evil floor boss ! This is why you should use your crystal wisely ! because you can get really early facing a difficult boss !

Keep in mind that EVERY doors lead to a random level ! That mean if you get back in a room then use the same door you used before will lead you to a total new room ! With new danger !

Maybe dodging this littles slimes room wasn’t a good idea when you saw 4 angry trolls waiting for you now !

This is how I used the theme ! Back in room, high risk but high reward or maybe low risk low rewards ! Who knows ? 😊

The game is divided by floor and rooms ! (Basically : 1 – 1, 1-2, and so on ( Floor – room )

If you manage to beat the floor boss, you can ascend  to the next floor ! Enemies will increase in strengths and the game won’t be kind with you and you will find less “friendly” rooms.

I hope I can make a lot of floor before the release time but for sure 1 complete floor will be playable with a tons of Randoms room to explore !

What I’ve done yet ! :

Moving my character with some basic footsteps sounds !

Animate my character for every feature, Attacking ( melee and distance ), getting hurt, and being like a ghost when you got the recovery time up !    

Creating 2 kind of enemies ( Ranged and melee(WIP) ) who follow the player and try to attack him !

These enemies can get hurt and of course die !

Getting my player back in the past ! Jumping in the last room explored except if you are to close from the starter room !

A basic main menu (WIP)

A buying system for items which boost your stats and it’s 100% functional right know,

I wish to implement some “active” items with a limited use who let you use some spells !

Basic UI as you can see in the videos

WIP : Art, getting more room and make them less “empty”, Bosses, Scene transition !

Right now I’m still in the project and I’ll update this topic as soon as I can if you guys are interested In my game !

Of course as you may have noticed  a lot of things need improvement, more sound on combat, more interesting room, actual display of the real floor and room, etc etc.
I know about theses things, i just work like i feel and i get back later to complete and polish everything !

I hope you enjoyed watching my first ever made game :)

Sorry for my basic English, this is not my main language, I hope you all can understand me 😊  

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I hope you will enjoy to try my first ever finished game !

(1 edit) (+2)

Wow this looks amazing,  keep up the great work . Also nice twist on the idea. For your first game, it looks and plays way better than my first one. Good luck.

Submitted

Wow ! Thanks you that's really kind from you, i hope you will like to try it once it come out :D.
Big thanks !

Submitted(+1)

Very interesting concept!  If you want playtesters, let me know

Submitted(+1)

Thanks you for your comment ! Sure ! I'll soon leave a download link for people to try it every playtest is appreciated Big thanks my friend

(+1)

looks good

Submitted

Thanks you ! :)

Submitted(+1)

good concept, i like it!

good gob!

Submitted

Thanks you for your comment i appreciate ! :D

Submitted(+1)

You definitely are talented man :P Great first gamejam!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks you that's really kind ! I saw your older project they was pretty amazings ! Always good to hear good comments from people who are more experimented Big thanks :)

Submitted(+1)

This looks like a great game man keep up the good work! Can't wait to play it on Saturday.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Oh thanks you man ! That's really kind from you ! I hope you will enjoy it saturday :)

(+1)

That looks amazing. I can't wait to play it. Keep up the excellent work.☺️☺️

Submitted

Thanks you my friend ! I hope you will enjoy it when it will be released ! :D

Submitted

[QUICK UPDATE]

Added some basic scene transition when you enter or leave and room

And added the rewind effect to show  that you are going back in the past ! 

Cool

Submitted

Thanks you my friend ! :)

Submitted

[QUICK UPDATE]

Work of the day ! I struggled to make a melee ennemy for the first time, this wasnt simple like a shooting one in my opinion.

Also it's not showed on the vid, but i made some tricks to avoid ennemy to overlap or push the player to keep the gameplay smooth.

I'll attack boss making and also activable item if i got the time !

Hope you enjoy this !

Submitted

[QUICK UPDATE]

The deadline is almost near !

This is what i've made so far, i'm still on it and a lot of  things are WIP i hope i will have the time to polish everything !

Some things like boss combats have slightly changed but i wanted to share some of the process to you guys ! :D

Hope you enjoy :)

A death and the end screen !

A goblin boss !

A slime boss attempt that i changed ! In size of the boss and on behaviour

Submitted

Hello guys ! Feel free to try and rate my first game :D

https://iknowcturne.itch.io/time-crawler