Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

My 10th Game Jam - What I've learned

A topic by NeatGames created Feb 15, 2020 Views: 557 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted (3 edits) (+7)

Hello all and happy jamming!  I have learned game dev for a year and 1 month.  Here are some tips I have learned after 9 game jams as a solo dev (just my humble opinions).   All my games are here: https://neatgames.itch.io/ & I have a 100% successful submission rate lol.

• Theme Brainstorming
    • Draw a Mind Map
    • Think of all possible ideas
    • Pick your favorite, then Mind Map that (and repeat)
  • How to be a 100% finisher
    • Don't over scope/Don't be over zealous.
    • Don't be afraid to cut features (design by subtraction). Focus on the core mechanic.
    • Do something you know already, but improve it or add to it. (Expand on a tutorial even)
    • #1 goal is to upload something and learn :D  Be proud of the journey not just the outcome.
    • Eat healthy and sleep regularly as well.
  • Make a Web browser game! WebGL in Unity
    • These get (literally) triple the amounts of plays/rates/comments.
    • People are lazy and a web browser game is just easier to play.
    • If you can't, make a Video or Game-play trailer to entice a download.
  • Visuals
    • Don't worry if you can't "draw"
    • Several game jams I have been in the best games just used solid shapes as graphics/player (squares/cubes etc.) Prototype style.
    • it's all about GAME JUICE/FEEL 
  • Sound is a must
  • How to get FEEDBACK/COMMENTS/RATINGS
    • Spamming the community tab/discord your game link does NOT work.
    • Best method:  Sort games by Karma in submission list.  (Games with high Karma mean they actively rate and comment on other's games) Play those and leave meaningful feedback/complements and invite to play your game. *Don't be a jerk and demotivate other devs, we are all learning.
      • Itch automatically posts your entry with your comment, so don't need a game link.
      • 50% comment to playback rate
  • GIFs are your friend
    • GIFs give a quick/clear impression of your game, thus motivates others to click organically.
    • Make your itch game page look nice as well. (Shows you are passionate about your game.)
  • Quality over Quantity
    • Usually people only play games for a few minutes.
    • So, don't put your "best stuff" at the end of the game.
    • Start with a bang. Don't use walls of text.

I hope this was helpful for some :) Finally, don't compare your skills to others, compare your game to your own previous work.  Such a variety of skill levels in a game jam .  Just try your best and improve! (If I think of more I will update ㅋㅋㅋ)

Submitted(+1)

Good advice thanks

(1 edit) (+1)

Nice advice man!

(+1)

thanks for the advice!!

(+2)

..zzZZZZZ

can we upload an aPk

Submitted

I think an APK app would get even less downloads than a windows PC download.  But you can if that's your goal I suppose haha.  (Not sure if it is possible on itch site too)

Thank u for spending your valuable time to respond to my silly question

Submitted

Thanks, man. 

Submitted

THANK YOU SO MUCH!