Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is using third party plugin or script library okay?

A topic by Hyperkvlt created Nov 29, 2022 Views: 335 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(2 edits) (+1)

Sometimes, there are a few stuff that game engines lacking that you need to cover with some plugin or some script library.

For example, I have several unity packages that help with tweening, audio management, state node, and a bunch of extension scripts that helps with data, utility, and attributes. Those arent something I can just make my self, heck I dont event know most of their inner working, I just know how to use them.

Is using those plugins or script library okay?

HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+1)

Yes. We'll do some editing now to make it clear that, while things like player controllers, boss scripts, etc aren't allowed, third-party plugins are. The rule is mainly just there to prevent jammers from reskinning an old game while tacking on a mechanic that fits the theme.

(+1)

Thanks for clarification. That's good to know.

Jam HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hey there!

The judges talked about this rule and updated it to this.
"Majority of the code must be made during the jam."

We hope this rule will simplify the specific details while keeping the spirit of the jam open to all skill levels and resources.
Such things as game engines, visual scripting, and plug-ins are allowed. (as already mentioned)
Code libraries and premade player controllers are now allowed, too. Although, they shouldn't be the bulk of the game.

I hope this helps!