SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions about Download

A topic by Errol created Dec 24, 2020 Views: 132 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

As you can see, I have so many questions. :D

(I'm enjoying the itch.io platform, but I find navigating to be a bit confusing. I would put in far more questions, but I post too much as it is)

One thing I noticed is downloads in the analytics. I've had 4 downloads. How do people download my game?

I don't mind if they do, but I was just wondering how itch.io tracks a download.

Submitted

I wouldn't mind knowing that myself. The meaning of "download" seems straightforward for games which use a binary/installer, but it's less clear for embedded HTML5 games. I used to think that for an embedded game, a "download" represented someone actually clicking on the game window in order to play it, but my HTML5 entries in other jams have registered more ratings than downloads, so the numbers don't seem to match up.

Host

To be honest this has always confused me too. I always have a few downloads of games that don't list downloads.

Maybe it means installation via Itch application? For instance, I always play Itch games this way, and they're really downloaded on my PC, even if they're HTML5. 

Submitted

Thanks Adoru. I was also wondering about this myself. With a bit of skullduggery, it is possible to download the games, but not in a way that you would expect itch.io to record it as a download. I think Adoru's answer may be the reason for the download count. I must look into this itch.io application.

Submitted

Ah, that makes sense! I didn't even know there was an app. I should check it out!