SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Can someone explain the rankings ?!?

A topic by foreverisbetter created Jun 29, 2021 Views: 461 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)(-1)

Hi everyone,

I wish I could be more positive and just enjoy life after the results came in, but please can someone explain me this? Purple Desert should clearly be higher ranked than my game - and not only I think so; it seems like the overall rating also thinks so! What's going on? Among the other revelation that there are probably some cheaters  in there this kind of stuff is kinda upsetting for me! 

Submitted(+2)

Hello.

Do not worry, there is no general rating like this. In each section (Theme, Fun, Visual), the places are arranged according to the corresponding indicator. As a result, in the opinion of those who voted, your game uses the theme of the contest more interestingly (beautifully, etc.). But this does not mean that the same people voted for both games. That's all.

Submitted(+1)

OOhhhh, I get it! The sections are switched XD  Thanks so much! That's a relief!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

The ratings feel really off. I see many 5-minute MS Paint -games go further up in rating in Visuals than highly graphically polished games. This ranking is based on first come first serve and individual whims. Not suitable for official ranking. Oh well. We are all winners for creating something atleast! But for the competition, might as well just throw dice to find out the result. The work efforts put in game have no effect on the rankings.

Submitted(+2)

It definitely seems kinda random... The comments were invaluable to me - so it absolutely was a worthwhile experience, but I played about 50 games and there were about 5-6 games that were hands down the best. No questions asked.  Then there was a huuuuuge gap in quality, idea, and execution and then followed all the other entries. For example Purple Desert, Lucent Depths and Neon Nightmare are all absolutley breathtaking showcases of what can be achieved in two weeks with game maker but oh well... maybe I should just randomly post my top 10 entries in some random forum. I mean these titles deserve it so much better!

Submitted(+2)

I do think there is some evidence that a small handful of entries attempted to manipulate votes. Like there are a few highly ranked games that perhaps don't measure up with general level of polish of the other top ranked games that have a lot of low effort comments from freshly created accounts and very few developer comments. That is a little bit of a bummer - but, I think this shows that leaving any final decisions to the discretion of YoYo Games and Opera was the right call because this reserves them the opportunity to take issues like this into consideration while determining the final winners.

(4 edits) (+1)

This sums up my own feelings exactly @Mushroomstick and @foreverisbetter....

Graphically my own game came 79th (!) place - it's not fantastic, but I took a LOT of effort with the graphics, headings, etc, then I look at entries like Photon Storm, Non-Stop Space Probe, etc, VERSUS some of the TOP 20 rated (visually) games, and I'm like...  err...

VERY random, it seems - or (ahem) strategic voting I guess...  :(

Oh well, it was an 'experience'...  ;)

Submitted(+1)

that's the point. Rating is a bit broken here on itch. Even more when there are many submissions in the jam and not everyone is voting every game.. If only a few. 

Fortunately yyg and opera team are aware of this and will judge by themselves with only a small help from this rating.. =)