SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

SUBMITTED, WOOOO!! || Ashenworld Devlog

A topic by DiamondCore created 83 days ago Views: 922 Replies: 19
Viewing posts 1 to 12
Submitted (2 edits) (+3)

Ashenworld by DiamondCore (itch.io)

(using this as some sort of "devlog" that helps force me to make some level of progress each day lol)

(also all daily progress updates will be contained to this thread so i dont spam the community board)

For day 1, i made some assets, a background, a titlecard, some animations, and some decent work on the character movement, i think its turning out pretty well so far!

Im gonna be using the theme in a kind-of-unique-but-simple way that I wont share,  and I think it'll definitely spice things up quite a bit

tomorrow im gonna be adding walljumps/more sprites/the gimmick hopefully lol

and at some point i gotta get to work on the music too.

Submitted(+2)

Wow that is a lot of work for the first day, I just spend the time thinking an idea and write everything down to a game design document. Today I hope to start the game itself ^^

Submitted(+1)

Thanks, and good luck on your game!

Submitted (1 edit)

DAY 2 AND 3  (I forgot to update this last night for day 2 lol)

Here's what my game looks like now!

As you can see, i added the second room!

And to get to that second room, you gotta climb up the wall in the first room, so you know what that means...

I finally added the wall jump!

It took a bit of troubleshooting to get it to work, but it finally works now!

My art is going pretty well so far (8x8), I guess my hours upon hours spent in Aseprite is paying off!

It definitely isn't perfect, but im proud of how its going!

I think ill use royalty free music for this as I can't compose anything good, but i'll wait and see!

Now I gotta focus on adding the main gameplay hook, which hopefully will be added tomorrow.

Submitted (1 edit)

DAY 4+5 (this is really becoming a trend, huh?)

Took a bit longer to add my main gimmick in some way, but now it's here!

Can you guess what it is?

Well, if you guessed "Gravity Direction shifting" then you got it! I won't reveal what it'll be used for as of now, but it's a thing in my game!

(sincerest thanks to the official godot forums for saving me days of lost sanity)

I still gotta add a for-loop to cycle through each gravity direction, and i still gotta add a thing that rotates the sprite to the proper position of the character. but overall it is going well for now!

...asides from this breaking the walljump, but i can fix that probably.

Another thing i added today is some SFXs for the character.

Tomorrow, i plan to flatten out the kinks with the gimmick and to fix the walljump, and then I plan to design and add some obstacles/more rooms

...I still gotta compose the music at some point, I'm terrified D:

Submitted(+1)

Composing music is for NERDS. I'm doing a procedural music system (it sounds even worse than one might expect).

But for real ambient noises seems like it might fit better than music with the aesthetic.

Submitted(+1)

It's looking awesome! Also, if you are not good at music, don't be afraid to just put ambient noises instead of music. Lots of games can be very effective without any music

Submitted

Yeah, I think i'm gonna go for something ambient-like so it's easier lol

Or I could use royalty free music, but I don't like doing that

"kind-of-unique-but-simple" =)  I think everyone make a dev log to share such things, but ok)

Submitted

DAY 6+7

Sadly not much progress, as I've ran into an issue with a mechanic that is probably bigger than it's worth to fix in the time of the jam

So I got 2 options

either A: Scrap the gravity-shifting gimmick and add a simpler one that is less-creative but still probably fun to use

or B:  Scrap the game

I'll have to decide tomorrow on Day 8.

Though if I do scrap the game, I definitely did learn a bunch of new things from it regardless so I'd still call it a soft-victory for myself at the end of the day, but I'm leaning towards A as of right now.

Submitted(+1)

It's been fun to see your progress. I'm sorry to hear that the mechanic isn't working out. If you have the time, I'd recommend continuing to work on the game, as it seemed really cool even if you need a different mechanic, but make the choice that is right for you.

Submitted

I decided to continue working on the game albeit with a certainly worse and more bland mechanic, as even if the gameplay doesnt turn out to be amazing, I still am proud with the art i've done and don't wanna waste it all

Submitted(+1)

What isn't working about the mechanic? It is possible that your idea of broken is just a broader aspect of the design space. (But understand why the bug is happening, you don't want to accidentally fix it and remove a hard to get back feature.)

Submitted(+1)

The issue with the mechanic is that it completely breaks another mechanic (the wall-jump) and when you want to shift the gravity direction from a Y axis to an X one (eg: UP to LEFT) the physics entirely break and softlock you in the air

I've troubleshooted it to the best I can but it's an issue bigger than I can solve in this jam timeframe

Submitted

Ah... yeah, I don't think that can be spun into a feature. That would have to be something to actually fix. Too bad.

Submitted

DAY 8+9

I'm going forward with the project, I don't think it'll turn out as great as it could and it for sure wont be top 5, but I still wanna finish it

The replacement mechanic is gonna be like a Mega Man dash or a Metroid Dread flash-shift, and instead of the gameplay being you rotating the gravity direction to navigate a puzzle-platformer world, the gameplay will now be navigating through the world and precisely moving around the "fog" (the black stuff in the image below") and using things like springs that make you jump higher to have fun getting to the surface world.

The gameplay is likely gonna be a bit dull, which is the sad consequence of a rough change 8 days into the jam, but i hope it is still fun.

I think my art will be the best part of the game though, I'm pretty proud of how it's turning out.

Anyway. I made another room finally, The room is almost finished aside from some polish/fog obstacles needed on the right side.

Tomorrow, I should be adding a TON more rooms (up to maybe 8-10?) after the obligatory final Game Theory from MatPat I am obligated to watch at 1PM

Hopefully I will break the cycle and actually update this devlog daily tomorrow lol

Thanks for reading!

Submitted

Day 10 (I BROKE THE CYCLE!!)

Made a few rooms and updated some old ones, not as much as I wanted, but thats fine!

I'm gonna compose the music tomorrow, and work on a lot more rooms, while desperately trying to make the deadline asap.

Even if I dont make the deadline, I'll still publish the game on my profile.

Submitted

I'm currently in hyper-crunch mode xD

The game should be released tomorrow if all goes well, hopefully...

Submitted

Should be up in about an hour.

I don't expect it to do well in the rankings as the gameplay is a bit iffy, but I tried my best for having to pivot my idea to something pretty different like 8 days in I guess lol

Submitted (1 edit)

I DID IT, I ACTUALLY MADE THE DEADLINE!!

I was incredibly anxious of missing it lol, I had to do a whole 'lotta crunching.

Here's my submission page: very cool epic link

It barely fits the theme since my core gimmick to match the theme really well didn't turn out well as stated in a previous update, but I guess it still counts!

I'm most proud of my artwork in the game, the gameplay not-so-much, but I really like how my art turned out.