SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Rules on Game Controls

A topic by Deleted Account created Jan 09, 2019 Views: 973 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Deleted post
Host (2 edits)

Hey jamzilla thanks for your interest in the jam! 

Your game should be playable with a maximum of 12 controls (0 - 9, *, and # key on the Nokia 3310). For reference Space Impact and Snake used 6 keys to control the game.  The control scheme is up to you but I would suggest your game be playable only using a keyboard.

Detailed examples: 

Space Impact Controls
8 key: move up 
0 key: move down 
# key: move forward
* key: move backward 
1 or 3 key: fire laser beams 
4 or 6 key: fire special weapon

Snake (II) Controls
2 key: snake goes up 
4 key: snake goes left 
6 key: snake goes right 
8 key: snake goes down 
* key: snake turns left 
# key: snake turns right

Ill be sure to add this to the page. If you need more clarification let me know!

Deleted post
Submitted

Personally, I'm planning to use QWE ASD ZXC, but also allow 789 465 132 mapped to the same virtual "buttons", but I assume there'll be no problem if I also map those same buttons to work with a controller's D-pad and ABXY buttons (+ the back button for button #9)? I've got a friend who prefers playing EVERYTHING with a usb controller.

So in effect there are 9 buttons for the game, but 3 different ways you can choose to map those buttons, I assume that'll be fine?

Host

That sounds perfectly fine

(+1)

Could it be any 12 keys we like or does it have to be only those ones?

Deleted post
Host(+1)

Hit the nail on the head Jannick. Thanks!

Host

It can be any 12 keys you'd like. If you want to use classic keyboard controls like arrow keys and WASD I think that's a good choice for convenience because people will be playing on a computer keyboard and not the Nokia's keypad. If you want to go as far as emulating the Nokia's keypad by choosing a block of keys that are close together (ex. 123qweasdzxc) go for it!