I decided to start the journey of game development by recreating some game i love, this time i decided to take Super Crate Box.
I have been working in the game for a few days, but decided to start the devlog today so people can tell me how are they feeling with the game, My first goal as i am learning is to create a clone of the original game and when is ready extend it with my own style, so i will stop the unnecessary introduction and get serious:
Technologies in use:
What is ready:
- Map template system, so i only have to draw the new maps to add them on the system.
- Skin list, which will determine current weapon.
- Enemy spawn, with random enemy types and custom behaviors.
- Unlock system, to determine goals to players and set rewards.
- Touch controls to support mobile devices.
- Custom map behavior, so each map can have a (un)pleasing surprise.
What is not ready:
A better physics behavior, there's still an odd feeling while jumping.
- Saving highscore's.
- A definitive UI to move through menus.
- Multiplayer mode (but this will only be added if i have enough time).
Improving game with original graphic assets and effects.
So the game at least for now will be an horizontal shoot'em up, where enemies will come from top of the map, and your objective will be collect all coins you can and survive, for me the Skins system is crucial on the game cause with every weapon the player has to change the way he/she move through the map, and that by itself adds an especial difficulty that i find special in the original game, additional i took inspiration on the megaman series (specially the X series) where some maps has special behaviors and that make me combine this to the original idea.
By now i can only show you a short gif but there will be a demo Available soon, hope to see people interest to test it soon ;)