Devastated: Andrew‘s Dictaphone is a surreal and mysterious Point & Click Adventure with a strong focus on exploration.
You can watch our Trailer here.
It will be available in Q1 of 2018 for Linux and Windows :)
I want to show you our new project Devastated: Andrew‘s Dictaphone. We (Madame Yavi, StrawManChris and myself, Moaning_Clock) have been working on the project since September and plan to release it for free in Q1 of 2018. It will be available for Windows and Linux!
At the moment we are halfway down the road. We needed some time to figure out the art style but we are relatively sure that we won‘t change much of the direction from now on.
Right now we have finished most of the soundtrack, one quarter of the soundeffects, half of the graphical assets (but we need to revise some
of these graphics) and one quarter of the text finished. In the first months we mainly focused on gameplay. It may be a little bit confusing why a Point and Click Game needs this much time for the gameplay but we wanted to ensure the best possible experience. Our last game, Intra-System: Trust Issues, suffered a bit in this regard and we wanted to optimize it from the start.
I‘m working mostly on the story (but also on audio and some other things; our roles within the team aren‘t really defined, especially not mine) and trying to convey the narrative in the best possible way. I want to write majority of the script this week.
Due to the fact that all of the scenes are made in 4K Madame Yavi has some technical difficulties which slow down the process (the old AMD FX aren‘t great at handling Photoshop (or Photoshop isn‘t great at working with these cpus)). Also, we want to create some gifs to give the right impression of the setting.
Chris is currently figuring out ways to make the game more performant but working with OpenGL can be a pain in the ass sometimes. We also want to ensure not only that the loading times of the game are relatively short but also that the player doesn’t need to wait for a new scene. Especially the 4K resolution may cause some problems.
We hope that we manage to finish the beta this year but we will have to see how it goes. We need to do almost all of the voicefiles soon but this shouldn’t be a big deal.
So, that‘s it! :D I want to update this devlog every monday at least but hopefully I’ll manage to do it more often!
First of all – sorry! I know I wanted to make a post every week but it was quite stressful and yeah … here it finally is!
The scripts for most of the voice-files are pretty much done. It’s not yet fully complete nor are they final but it is enough to start recording (of course we will probably change/add stuff during the next weeks but that is part of the process).
Another big thing is the change of our engine. For our last game as well as the alpha versions of Devastated: Andrew’s Dictaphone (or simply DAD) we used LibGDX. However we decided to switch to Unity since the whole development-process seems to be a lot faster.
If we are going to be successful with DAD, we would need to buy a license but first of all we need to be successful and the game will be PWYW/free, so financial success won't be a 'danger'.
Angela is going to draw quite a lot for the rest of the week. In the last days there wasn't really much progress in terms of art because she spent a lot of time working on the website.
Here is a new scene from
And also check out our website! Angela spent a lot of time optimizing and making sure everything looks good :D Non-responsive websites are still a thing in 2017 ~
Christopher spent some time to further optimize Intra-System. Even though it already performs great on low-end machines, he wanted to increase the performance on older PCs even more.
There was a little stutter with the animations at the end of the game (only noticeable on old PCs) and this should be fixed with it, as well as some more minor changes :D
Also thanks to Imagoala, she fixed some errors in the scripts. I need to practice more English (no worries, for the game everything will be checked :D) and I'm watching and reading a lot to improve it (cliffski.com is great, also Jeff Vogels Blog)
It will be a little calm here until the start of the new year, mainly because of Christmas and new years (visiting family & stuff like that) :). However with the beginning of the new year we should manage to post weekly ^o^
I know it's been a while since my last entry to this devlog and many things have changed since then.
First order of business: Christopher is no longer part of our team. Don't worry, we talked about it and everyone considered this to be the best of options.
Secondly, we're now working without an dedicated programmer. Madame Yavi, responsible for the art, is now learning Unity and I myself am looking into GameMaker (both of us released a small game each. You can find mine here: https://moaning-clock.itch.io/interrogation-by-the-state, the one Madame Yavi made was more of a project for the community.)
So... What now? At the moment we are working on a small side project before moving on with Devastated: Andrew's Dictaphone. We hope that we're able to release Devastated in Q1 of 2018 and will try hard to make that happen, but we'll see what the future has in store for us. At the moment we have a lot of fun figuring out the different engines and trying out many things. So, to summarize: 'Devastated: Andrew's Dictaphone' isn't dead but it may be delayed for two or three weeks :D
Next week more, I promise :D
Hey, nothing really new at the moment in regards of Devastated: Andrew's Dictaphone. We are working hard on the new game right now but after that we will fully concentrate on Devastated :D I will post a new entry to the devlog when we really start working on Devastated again, I think around the end of february :) But I have two screenshots which show the progress of the art :D