I've been able to recreate that issue.
I have a bedroom full of rocks Day 8 of Autumn that a Dwarf is actively using.
The Rocks aren't cleared until Day 2 of Summer.
I have a bed that has not been crafted for more than 2 seasons now.
The bed shows as 4 of 4 oaken planks allocated.
I don't have any oak planks left, they were used for something else.
What I do have is more than 30 birch planks.
It appears the game doesn't register that I have a different type of resource available and change.
Is this a Alpha only issue because we are going to be picking resource type in the future? Or an actual problem?
If I build a bridge, and the other side has bushes it will never get built because its waiting for the stuff on the other side to be cleared.
With no way to cross a river before the bridge is built you can only build one to where it stays clear on the other side.
They always break first. We don't appear to have enough available to prevent that.
They have spacious private rooms and good food being cooked. Those are some of the only positive modifiers I've been able to generate.
Once the first Dwarf dies things spiral down quickly because good food + spacious private room is about +25 or +30 and seeing a dead body is -50 and carrying a dead body to the graveyard or tomb of the fallen is -55.
No problems setting up the initial base, food supply, etc... I survive the initial winter with tons of food to spare.
As I increase the number of bedrooms, water barrels, kitchen areas, farm land, etc... porportional to growth once I hit a certain population level people start to go insane, die of dehydration despite 5 or more full water barrels in the base and so on.
Unless each additional dwarf means I need more food and water per dwarf I'm not running out of supplies something else is happening.
The first wave of new dwarves was no problem, I still had plenty to spare and I continued to build more in preparation for the next wave.
I prebuilt everything for the next wave but things fell apart after the next wave appeared.
The problem looks like scaling issues.
It's the third wave of people or year 4 or 5 where you start getting so and so died of starvation with 50 rations in their inventory.
Variant Scaling Issue Example - I had a giant cave open at the start in my game. I turned the entire thing into a Mushroom farm because I'm not aware of any reason not to.
I built 4 shock tanks and placed 50 mushroom logs. (This only used about 20% of the farm's space)
Of the 50 logs, 19 were used. 31 spots are waiting. They have been allocated but the Dwarves never get around to it. Seasons passed and they never got around to it.
My farm fields are constantly being planted or harvested season after season, so I have farmers. At least 5 that I count
I have logs scattered around my wood cutting benches that aren't in use, so resources exist and trees have been cut down.
I checked and I have 5+ carpenters and 5+ woocutters. Plenty of trees and logs.
I'm having Dwarves die of starvation at the serving table. The serving table has food on it. More than 10 wheat loaves.
I'm having Dwarves die of starvation in the pantry. I'm having Dwarves die of Dehydration and/or starvation next to or at the feasting table.
Multiple water barrels in the area that have water in them. The pantry has food. Multiple cauldrons have food in them. Yet Dwarves die.
Everything is being accessed by some dwarves but others are dying. I'm having trouble finding a cause.
1. I don't seem to be able to select Dwarves when they are sleeping in a bed. I can select the bed, and the ground, the bedroom, but not the Dwarf. That wouldn't be an issue if I had another screen or interface to adjust professions.
2. I don't have a unified way of seeing what professions I've given my Dwarves. It would be nice to make sure I don't have 5 Blacksmiths and 0 Carpenters without checking each Dwarf by hand.
3. Is the order of profession important? If I make someone Miner, Farmer, Blacksmith do I need to watch that they only mine if possible and Blacksmith as a last ditch thing? Whatever the answer, the answer should be on a tooltip or the profession screen or something like that.
4. I had new Dwarves join. Yay! The screen showing them is fine but pausing the game and letting me potentially adjust the professions or something would be nice. This made the other issues even more noticeable.
5. Can I refuse or cast out a Dwarf? No reason to right now, but if food was scarse and someone showed up with a negative trait or just duplicate professions I might want to stop them at the gates.
I haven't been able to reproduce the issue from #5.
I noticed your road map says saving and loading games is complete, I would disagree.
The game saves, and I can continue an old game but I can't actively save a game state or load a specific saved game. That's fine in the Alpha stage but I hope you aren't considering leaving it that way for release.
2. It would be nice if we could grow trees or do something to encourage more trees.
3. Mushroom Farms takes > 1 year to get going. That's on purpose, right?
4. Would be nice to be able to place the door before the wall is done.
5. Construction won't complete because a chunk of rock has never been moved and no one does it.
For multiple seasons. I end up moving the crafting table instead.
6. 4 different kinds of stockpile? Why? If it's for something not implemented, ok, but it seems unecessary currently, especially the one for tools.
8. No indicator of when pillars are needed or how effective they are. I've had cave ins and build pillars to prevent but its all guesswork.
My people seemed unwilling or incapable of growing crops on the farm or the mushroom farm.
The mushroom farm appeared to be waiting for an injection of spores but I was unable to locate a source or how to do that. I built shock tanks and logs but they never grew anything edible.
The standard farm I'm guessing I didn't match the seeds they were carrying to the selection on the farm but it would be nice if the drop down grayed out or otherwise said hey, you can't actually grow that crop instead of letting you create a farm that would be ignored.
A hungry status or warning would be nice. My people just started falling over dead while I puzzled things out.
Fishing - Would be nice to assign someone to fishing for food. Maybe build a dock if you need it anchored to a zone. If its possible to fish off a bridge I don't know, I didn't try it but you should be able to.