Instead of going for territory booking, we're going to go full-on ROH. Matches will have a quality rating, which will take into account your both your wrestlers and your opponents skill, health, any random events in the match, and how hard you tried during the match. Good matches give you more fans. This will give us a stronger building block for AI bookers making good booking decisions, territory popularity growing and falling, and your progression as a wrestler.
Recent community posts
It's gonna be a long winter. I might not get to too much Rassler shit for awhile. We'll see. Here are the holdovers from Release 9.
- Booking - Bookers of a territory will choose who wins and loses based on how popular they are, how much they like you, how well the town is doing.
- Territories - If a booker puts on a lot of crappy matches, popularity will drop. Likewise, if they put on a bunch of great stuff and the fans love it, popularity will rise.
- Alignment - Your character will be a face or heel. There will be times when you switch. Wrestling matches will now have your alignment taken into account with regard to how many fans you gain from them. There will be a new "Fan Sentiment" meter which will show how the fans feel about you and will change over time by how hard you work and how lucky you get.
That's all I have for now. I'll probably toss in some more random events, too, which will affect the new alignment system.
I just realized that I haven't added any of these legit feature requests to the roadmap. I've been working a lot on the early part of the game and making it more exciting, but Release 10 will include some form of "change gimmick / gear" to keep the long game interesting. Thanks again for the thoughtful suggestions @TheGoldenBolt.
Release 9 should be out sometime before thanksgiving. It will contain a few small and a few big changes, potentially including but not limited to:
- Booking- Matches will have endings determined by the local wrestling boss beforehand. You'll know their names and they'll have stats of their own. Sometimes you'll just get booked higher or lower on the card for no reason, but usually the booker will be making a choice based on how much money they think you'll bring in. Sometimes they just won't like you.
- Procedural finishers! Your character and other wrestlers will have finishing moves.
- Some new wrestler costumes.
- An overhaul to the intro and character generation screen. They're so gross.
- Probably some new merch, I was thinking of doing a run of little 1" buttons. I'm trying to stay away from stickers, but maybe those too.
Later on, there will be stuff like persistent conditions (long-term injury, drug rehabbing, brain chemistry being off, etc), and an actual map of travel between matches w/ hotels, random events, etc.
Losing matches is hard-coded because I was too lazy to finish the subsystem which determines that. I guess it's also subtle political commentary? It's slated for the next release or maybe the one after that. Skill is actually more like "how good of a pro wrestler are you," instead of "how likely are you to win." Rivalries and titles are on the roadmap (which I should post soon).
It's funny you should mention going on the road, previous versions of Rassler were explicitly doing this (each match was in a different town) but it didn't feel like it meant anything in the state it was in, so I ditched it until I had time to make it meaningful. Heading down the road is definitely central to the pro wrestler experience I want to provide.
Gear change is a great idea. That might go in the next release, it'll help with the "endgame" a lot.
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.
This thread is for player requests. What do you want to see in the next versions of Rassler? Want a specific rassler to be made into a magnet? Got any suggestions for rewards? Lay it on me.
I guess someday I should respond to this feedback, huh?
The dollar award: Actually that's by design! Maybe not the most fun for games, but wrestlers rarely get paid more for working harder. It's a weird system.
More fans means more people coming to your show just to see you, meaning bigger attendance numbers and more money.
I agree! Some day. It looks like you've got a line on some really good 2D artists...
Some notes on the creation and release of Versions 01 of Badlands.
- The mapping stuff mainly came from Dig_It which was a much more ambitious and therefore doomed concept. I improved it a lot. I may clean up the code and open source it. Would anybody care?
- The logic around people in the game is totally empty and they just sort of wander. I'm not sure there will ever be much more interaction than this. I have a feeling they'll want to interact with each other more than I'll want them to interact with you. If you follow.
- I don't know _why_ "Badlands" but I do know it fits somehow. Also, my mom loves The Boss.
- Adding seasons and more flora somehow is something I'm really excited to do.
- As for scale, I'm not sure what it is in the game as-released. Maybe something like 1 square = 1km? Seems fair. Those are BIG rocks, I guess.
- Maybe I'll replace the rock as an above ground object with mountains. Maybe rock becomes a kind of "ground" like dirt or grass.
Here are some of the future features for DIG_IT:
- Food, and other ways to increase your HP
- More dangerous monsters as you dig deeper
- High score!
- Ability to reset your "world" file and start fresh
- Dirt respawning so your screens don't get totally dug out and you just fall and die
What would you like to see?