Hey, looks like this is your first gamejam. Congrats on submitting in time and finishing a project! The devlog seems pretty detailed, which is cool, and it looks like you learnt a lot of stuff, which is even cooler.
Here's some of my feedback on the game just from an "average gamer" standpoint:
- Having to click on the ui in the top right is really annoying. I wish I could just press the number keys or something.
- The most optimal way to play is just spamming the clouds. I think that, from a game design standpoint, something needs to be done to prevent that (the only thing preventing it right now is the fact that I constantly need to reselect it in the ui).
- The different types of enemies are really cool, I especially love the motorcycle guy because he sort of changes up the way to play (plants are more effective against him).
- Killing enemies felt pretty nice (I like the way they fall apart)
Here's some feedback from a dev standpoint:
- It takes a certain amount of balls to go for a grid based game with placable tiles on your first game jam game, and I respect that.
- I can't stress enough how cool it is that you learnt so many things, keep doing this and you will def improve.
- A bit more technical: some of your pixel art doesn't quite line up right. Pixel art is quite tricky in that the resolution is set once the art is created, and you can't rescale it. So for the next project, make sure to find a suitable resulotion for the art and then create it all in the correct scale from the start. (Actually, our game is guilty of it too a little bit). I think line art is actually easier for beginners then pixel art, so I would definetely give that a try as well.
I know there's a lot of "negative sounding feedback" here, but I hope it can help for the next projects. I can't stress enough how cool it is that you've completed a project and submitted on time and even created a cool devlog. A lot of people don't get to that point. Overall, great job and keep it going!