Hippasus, right you are! I realized that Spell Wheel wasn't hard enough to hold interest for long and I considered several modifications that would extend the play time. Most of the feedback I got was that it was simply too difficult though. Very few people would say too easy. So I held off on updating it and haven't had much time lately anyway.
My ideas in case you are curious:
- Make it harder to rotate freely, perhaps by preventing rotation to an uncharged spoke
- Randomize starting wand and maybe do one power per spoke instead of 2
- Reduce blocks added per floor to 2 or 1
- Have a huge boss at the end of each run that is a crazier version of a normal enemy with a ridiculous amount of health and some special ability (e.g. Astronauts are twice as fast, Jellies produce small jellies)
- Increase monster damage and/or HP over runs but give the player a way to match that power increase with proper play. My current idea is to have them find a rare spell that destroys their entire wand (so they start from scratch) but they get +1 damage each time they do this.
Reviewing this again, I worry that new players would think the game is even more impossible. More tutorializing might help though.
Thanks for the feedback!