Congrats on 1st place! Very well deserved.
Recent community posts
So…long time no update. I've been continuing work on Motel 666, but there's not a lot to say or show from it because it's mostly been drawing sprites and making sound effects. I've been importing assets to unity and have almost finished the building blocks that will allow me to just put the game together after this week, and I'm very excited to have real gameplay to show off.
In terms of screenshots I've been struggling to find the sweet spot between showing enough to be enticing and showing too much and ruining any possible surprising scares.
Here's a quick gif showing picking up items, in this case a crowbar, and equipping and unequipping it:
More to come! :)
I started working on Motel 666 at the opening of the jam by setting up a trello board to keep myself on task while working on it. Currently I'm at 79 Cards total in the board and I expect it'll grow by maybe a dozen more as I find components necessary that I didn't fully scope out for the game.
At the moment I have an intro screen complete with music that launches into the game's opening. I've been spending most of the time I've had to develop the game working on assets, and I'm focusing on finishing up the tileset for the various levels by the end of the week. Next week I'm hoping to have the full game environment built and collision ready so I can work on putting in all of the scripted events and interactions in the game.
Please enjoy the splashscreen and main menu in lieu of exciting gameplay:
I'm making a survival horror game called Motel 666 using Unity. It's about surviving the night/escaping from a haunted motel. It draws inspiration from the old Resident Evil and Silent Hill games for mechanics and tone, and the pixel aesthetic is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
So far I've scoped the project on a Trello board so I actually stay focused and finish it on time for the deadline, as well as creating all of the main character's sprite animations.
I finally wrote up my post-mortem on my blog: http://www.gameovertures.ca/2016/01/libgdx-jam-ret...
In summary: great learning experience, both in terms of learning the basics and features of the engine and for reinforcing important lessons about planning, design, and best practices in programming in general.
Please give it a read if you have the time.
Submission has been made to the jam. Sometime over the course of voting I'm going to write a comprehensive post mortem of development. I'm happy with the amount I learned about libGDX and will be using it in future, but I'm not particularly pleased with how I didn't come into development with a strong design plan in mind. The result has been a mess of code that became more and more difficult to expand and modify as the jam enter "crunch time". I did however get to make a lot of assets using new tool I acquired over December and I'm very pleased with how my skills have developed.
All told, great learning experience and I'm happy to be getting a new tool to use for development. Maybe I'll be lucky and get a T-shirt. :)
Added Motion Controls using the accelerometer for the Android version, defined and implemented some interfaces, and created the Shot object for non special weapons firing. I'll be tweeting screenshots and possibly the soundtrack from soundcloud if it's far enough along this weekend so I'll be sure to link those here.
After neglecting my dev log a bit, here's a big update:
Asset creation has taken up the majority of the time developing the game thusfar. I have several chiptune songs composed for the game and a number of assets drawn up including some spaceships and widget skins.
In code I have menus and some interfaces to define behaviour of the various game objects.
Over the next two days I intend to program in the templates for how the actual playable levels will work along with success and fail states.
Day One: Mostly just making some chiptune music for a vague idea at the moment. Brainstorming continues.
It's a saturday but I have no screenshot :(
UPDATE: Created a Github repo and project. Making some menus happen now.