Thanks for the report! We're looking into it.
Recent community posts
Multiplayer is alive! Soon the sword robots of the arena will be filled with human minds like yours.
We’re starting with 1v1 Duels!
Our plans for multiplayer are far-reaching, but we’re kicking it off with 1v1 Duels. Two humans pick upgrades, then fight! Whoever runs out of clones first loses.
We’re aiming to launch this to the world around
late February / early March UPDATE: Now targeting releasing in April, but you can try it out on our development multiplayer branch now! (More details)
You can access the development branch!
Want to help test multiplayer? We’re giving everyone access to the in-development version.
- Go here to learn how to access the branch!
- This branch will be updated most weekdays, as we develop it live.
Right now it’s a super-buggy, broken experience with terrible usability. Nevertheless you can still try it! 🙂
Features on the Horizon
Multiplayer is going to grow and expand a lot over the coming months! Here are some of the things we’re going to be looking at:
- Ranked Ladder – A monthly ladder to climb! Rank up by winning, down by losing.
- Robot customization – Unlock cool skins by playing, and choose what your robot looks like.
- Emotes – Express yourself with useful phrases! A delightful combination of animation and text to speech.
- Play with your friends – Invite your Steam friends to play with you.
- Game Mode: Team PvP – Defeat the other team by achieving the map objectives!
- Game Mode: Battle Royale – Fight until only one robot remains standing!
- Game Mode: Co-op – Jump into Endless Mode with a human friend or take on Challenges together!
- Custom games: Want to play a super strange workshop map? Custom games will be where this happens.
Note: The above items are not in order, and might change drastically. We’ll make specific decisions as we learn what multiplayer is like and see what people love or hate about it.
Let us know what you would most like to see in the comments!
Ever since the game launched, multiplayer has been the number one suggestion.
In terms of adding value to the game, few features could have a larger impact! It’s a big undertaking for our tiny team, but we’ve decided that it’s finally time to tackle it!
Here is the plan:
- Now: Recreate the challenges Clone Drone will be facing in a separate little game.
- December: Launch this little game for Christmas (FREE!) and gather feedback on how it’s working.
- January: Start multiplayer integration with Clone Drone, using what we’ve learned from building the prototype to make it awesome!
- ????: Launch it when it’s ready!
Rapid Prototype: Santa goes to War!
We’ve never launched a realtime multiplayer game before, so we’re going to fix that! 🙂
Who will be the next Santa Claus? The answer will be written in the snow with red letters!
Multiplayer modes on the horizon!
Once we start building multiplayer in Clone Drone we’ll probably start with a simple PvP experience, and launch it as soon as it’s in a good state!
After that there are many options: Co-op, team deathmatch, ranked ladder, weird Twitch integrations. We haven’t decided exactly what multiplayer in Clone Drone will look like.
What kind of gameplay would you be most excited to see? Let us know in the comments!
Other cool stuff:
Oh no, perhaps we've introduced some sort of bug!
Were you playing the inferno challenge previously or were you starting it from level 1?
Do you get an error message when it crashes? If you email a screenshot to email@example.com we can help figure out what's going on.
Sorry for the inconvenience!
Many of you expressed that although the Chapter 3 update was a lot of fun, it was over too quickly. This update builds on the new mechanics introduced in last update and adds a slew of new content for you to play with!
Story Mode: A new experience!
All levels in chapter 1 & 2 have been updated with new maps. We’ve mostly kept the ideas of the existing maps, but re-built them using the level editor to up their quality.
We’ve also introduced Difficulty Settings!
If you’ve found Story Mode too easy try playing on Hard or Insane. The only difference is in what enemies appear on the levels.
Chapter 3 also supports the new difficulty levels.
Endless Armor Challenge
Do you wish every enemy in the game HAD ARMOR?? Try the Endless Armor Challenge!
We’ve also added a bunch of armored enemies to normal Endless Mode.
Hello I am Business Jetpack Bot!
Clearly the game needs a new jetpack bot wielding a fire sword. !spawn bjetpack Kappa Speaking of fire, we’ve made it spread faster! The slow creeping spread didn’t feel good to get killed by. This feedback first surfaced in this forum thread. Thanks guys!
Bugs bugs bugs
We also fixed a ton of bugs. Let us know if you find more at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Next up: TwitchCon!
Lots of great ideas here! Thanks for all the inspiration. :)
The molten metal idea is interesting. Would be fun to play more with ways of deforming the characters in real time that is not exclusively about destroying them. Maybe it slows down the movement while attached? Could see a variant of this being ice that freezes the character for a short while, then melts off.
Did you know that we are hard at work on the next installment of Story Mode??
Chapter 3 is slowly taking shape, and we finally have a few images to show you!
We’re aiming to launch the update in mid-September!
Here is a minor SPOOOOOOOOOILER ALERT!
Click away if you don’t want to know what happens in Chapter 3.
Here we go:
- No Arena! – For the first time in the short history of the game, the action takes place outside of the arena.
- AI Companion – Fighting alongside you will be the other escaped human! You’ll be able to equip both humans with different upgrades and switch back and forth between them.
- City overhaul! – Let’s face it. That city at the end of chapter 1 and 2 looked kinda placeholdery. We’ve been hard at work concepting something that will look much better.
- Armor – The new combat mechanic of the update is: ARMOR! Any enemy in the game will be able to wear armor, preventing damage before shattering. In keeping with the detailed damage model of the game, armor only protects specific body parts.
- Business Bots – In Chapter 3 your minds will inhabit the slender frames of Business Bots. Watch their robot ties wave in the wind!
- Glowing Eyes – Every robot in the game is getting glowing eyes that fade out dramatically when they die.
We’re aiming to launch the update in mid-September.
It’s taking a bit longer than many of our smaller updates have, in part because we want to create something super cool, but also because Erik (that’s me) has a new side project:
We’re having a lot of fun building this update. 🙂
Since that relies on Steam workshop it is not available in the itch version.
If you download the Steam version, all your data is shared, and you can upload it from there:
This is valuable feedback! Is this level 1-2 of Story mode, or Endless Mode?
When you die, what tends to kill you most often?
Tips for beating the mark 1 sword robots reliably:
Try strafing around them and hitting them with horizontal sword attacks. This is an effective way to get around their sword blocks.
Tips for beating archers:
Strafe out of the way of their arrows and try to attack them when they don't have an arrow nocked.
Upgrades that are very helpful: Block Arrows and Clones! :)
The Flame Raptor is coming!
On June 22 the next big enemy enters the Danger Arena... Prepare to be set aflame by the terrifying Flame Raptor!
A worthy opponent on its own, there are reports of Robots Riding Raptors.
The update will feature an awesome new Challenge, as well as introduce raptors to Endless, Twitch and Workshop levels!
Story Mode is brewing...
While we're working on getting dinosaurs to set you on fire, we have also begun concept art for the next Story Mode chapter.
Chapter 3 has been fleshed out on paper, and we'll start to implement it as soon as the raptor update is live! :D
hehe, yes, that's the green guy was my first attempt at a non-humanoid enemy.
The limbs were far too thick though, so I decided to cut it.
The enemy spawning was kinda interesting, so might bring that back in some form in the future!
And the other guys are the Fire Raptors, coming next update! :)
It has been a week since the Level Editor was released!
The workshop now has 1500 items in it. Wow!
Today we're releasing a small update reacting to feedback from all the wonderful people making levels!
It fixes a ton of bugs and introduces some fun new features.
Now you can make enemies not blindly rush at you as soon as you exit the elevator.
Make them wait until you reach them before activating.
Moving Platforms - Very Configurable!
You want to do cool stuff with Moving Platforms? Now you can!
By combining moving platforms with trigger zones you can make all kinds of wonderful things.
Elevators, traps, doors, sinking pillars, self-assembling levels, hyper-mazes! You tell us.
If the number of settings seem overwhelming it's because SO IS YOUR POWER!!!!
The default settings just move it back and forth, just like before!
New Challenge: They Wait
To showcase what is possible with the new update we made a neat 5-level challenge, released via workshop!
The death robots are waiting for you, human!
Need inspiration for what level to make? Press the little random button!
Tags, tags, tags!
Levels uploaded from this update will be tagged with their commentator description.
Now it is easy to find all levels with cats!
- Primitives folder renamed to Basics
- Ramp added to Basics folder! Magically looks good when you scale it.
- Tool keyboard shortcuts changed: d,m,r,s ---> 1,2,3,4
- Return to Level Editor - No need to go via main menu after play testing!
- Bug fixes - We fixed a ton of bugs! Yay!
We're going to make one more update in the next couple of weeks to get even more awesome features into the Level Editor!
Also: CHECK OUT ALL THE WORKSHOP LEVELS!!! :D
Rate the ones you like and leave a comment for the creators!