Recent community posts
Nice! I like the look of it. :D
At some point we might definitely have to think about how to deal with the sheer number of upgrades the game allows you to experiment with. Perhaps there will come a day when the upgrades don't fit on a single screen like they do right now...
Hey human, do YOU have a cool idea for a level?
A Maze? Sawblades and lava? The Crazy Duck Challenge??
Soon YOU can make it, and share it with other humans!
We're hard at working making an ass-kicking Level Editor, that makes it easy and fun to put together Clone Drone levels.
Some highlights include:
- Steam Workshop Integration - Easily find, rate and upload levels!
- Make Challenges - Why make one level, when you can make several and put them together into an awesome Challenge? Choose what upgrades the player starts with and what is restricted!
- Choose your enemies - Test your skills against any combination of enemies you can imagine!
The first version of the Level Editor launches on May 5th!
We look forward to seeing what you do with it!
Guilty! Because good game design involves a lot of editing. :)
With each pass at adding more levels I've also looked at all the levels, to see if the set made sense as a whole.
Here are some types of levels I've deleted:
- Boring levels. Just a flat map and some enemies. Deleted!
- Difficult levels. In one update bronze and silver were made easier.
- Flawed levels. There was one that involved a lot of running around next to saw blades. Was more tedious than tense. Deleted!
- Repetitios levels. In the first pass at Endless Mode there were a lot of levels that were subtle variants of eachother. Once we had more levels I cut down on duplicates for a fresher experience!
Thanks for the interesting question! :)
Kick Bots! They kick... other bots!
The deceptively adorable kick bots run around kicking you into other enemies' swords, lava, and jump pads… that lead to more lava.
While they may appear at first glance too under-equipped to cause real harm, after a couple of kick-dips in the lava you may start to approach them more carefully.
And you will encounter these deadly bots in...
The Kick Only Challenge - Look ma, no hands!
Using only your powerful feet, kick your way through 10 levels filled with spikes, fire jets, conveyor belts, lava and sawblades that will make quick work of your enemies (... or you).
You look so happy with both hands free!
And beating this challenge will unlock...
Power Kicks – Kick enemies into each other!
Just in time for bot-kicking season, the power kick upgrade both increases the intensity of your kick AND makes it knock back other enemies. And them, in turn, other enemies... I think you see where we're going with this. Line up a few robots and let them show you their best three stooges impression!
And you can capture your own THIS IS SPARTAAA moment using...
Photo Mode: Take beautiful pictures of your trail of carnage!
Inspired by the wonderful YouTuber MattShea (who knows a thing or two about videogame photography!), photo mode lets you pause the game's action at any moment, pan around freely, and frame the perfect shot.
Once you've got your shot lined up, you can take a screenshot (F12 if you are using Steam, see this guide if you're using itch) and, hey, why not share your artistic creation with the world?!
We'd love to see your awesome photo-screenshots in:
- Press Tab to freeze time and toggle photo mode on and off.
- Press ` (backtick) to wait for the next death to auto-trigger photo mode.
- Use your scrollwheel to control the depth-of-field. Experiment with how this affects your shot's framing.
- When time is frozen, left clicking will step time forward.
- Think like a photographer: is the framing of the elements in the shot balanced? Can you include the characters' faces to make it a more emotional photo? Can a viewer tell what is happening when they first look at this shot?
And EVEN. MORE. OTHER. STUFF.
In addition to those bigger things, we've continued improving the game's stability (& check out our new troubleshooting guides), and made a few handy tweaks:
Flame Breath: Overhauled to be more useful!
While flame breath used to require a full 4-bars of energy to use, it now only requires 1 bar, and lets you stop breathing fire at any time without losing more energy. More control -- more POWER!!
Twitch Spawn Settings – Min difficulty tier for each enemy.
Twitch audiences aren't always all !clones and Encouragement Cube!s. Now you can avoid getting crushed on level 1 bronze by hammer3s, spidertron6000s and jetpack2s, with these handy dandy new settings:
And speaking of feature description transitions...
NOW YOU CAN KICK SPIDER-TRONS!!!!!!
Watch out for the spider bombs!
Have fun, and let us know what you think!! And share your amazing photo mode screenshots with everyone!
(Erik) OK, done! Just gotta fix the last bugs.
(Spider-tron 6000) F00L!!!!! Y000 cAN't DEFEAAAT uzzzzzz!!!!
(Mysterious Stranger) Oh yeah!? *dropkicks spider-tron 6000*
(Spider-tron 6000) waaaatt? I canz be KiCK3d nowwww???
(Mysterious Stranger) Our velocity has increased. *Jetpack kicks spider-tron into lava*
(Spider-tron 6000) Noooo00000!!!!!111
(Audience Bots) OMG! It's Bribrobot!!!!!
(Bribrobot) *removes sunglasses* I work here too now.
(Audience Bots) *WILD ON THE INSIDE!!!!!*
The first update since the Steam launch is small, but nice, like a partially damaged robot foot!
Here are some cool new features to look forward to:
- The Kick Only Challenge!
- Photo Mode: Take beautiful pictures of your robot carnage!
- Flame Breath: Overhauled to be more useful!
- Kick Bots!
- Power Kicks - Kick enemies into eachother!
- Twitch Spawn Settings - Min difficulty tier for each enemy.
- YOU CAN KICK SPIDER-TRONS!!!!!!
Yeeeeaaahh!!! The update goes live this Friday, March 31:st.
Mmm, this is not great. In the next update the chance of clones has been turned down when you already have one.
A tip for killing mk3 swordsman without kick is also friendly fire! Try running close to other enemies making them swing. Risky but possible
Weird! Here are some questions to help diagnose the problem:
- Have you been manually modifying the save data?
- Switching back and forth between steam and itch version?
- Did you play Endless Mode before starting the Inferno Challenge using this version of the game?
- Did the next human who spawned have the same problem?
I erred on the side of caution with it, fearing it would be too powerful.
We're gonna make it a bit better in an upcoming small update!
I think however it's implemented it should stop training energy when you fall over. That's a good note
- Aim for their heads or torsos. The hammer is more effective if it makes a solid, full contact rather than a just-in-range touch.
- Sometimes the overhead swing is better at insta-killing the target, but more precision is required.
- The jetpack can be used to lunge forward in explosive bursts timed to your swings.
- Be careful to swing in a direction that doesn't hit walls
- Upgrade your hammer! It gets a lot easier to hit things the bigger it is.
- Your hammer brings the most advantage against targets that are good at blocking swords. (Mark 2-4 swordsmen for example)
- The sword is probably a more efficient choice for quickly dispatching archers in tight spaces.
This is a good outline of the counters I think. :)
In addition to the bow I would put jetpack and fire as counters to the hammer bots.
The way fire ended up working was a direct response to the tendency for hammer3s to take damage without dying due to their large body size.
So it's less of a triangle and more of a complex set of arrows where many things can be used to overcome the challenges posed by the various other weapons.
Definitely something I think about a lot though. The overhauled kick was a direct counter to the cursed mark 2 jetpack bots, who were the apex predator of Endless Mode for a while.
WE ARE LIVE ON STEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Did you buy the game on itch.io?
Don't email us about it! :D
Go read this guide for how to get your Steam key:
What's new in Update 0.6??
With that out of the way, Update 0.6 is here!
There are two major new features: Challenges and Fire!
Challenges is a new game mode that presents you with difficult tasks.
If you complete them you are given an awesome Trophy, a Steam Achievement and sometimes New Upgrades!
The Inferno Challenge
10 very difficult levels introducing the Mark 4 fire enemies, fire traps and lava!!!
Expect to be set on fire and die repeatedly. :)
Unlocks: Flame Breath!!!
The Random Upgrade Challenge
It's Upgrade Bot's construction day! 🎉 🎂 🎉
Celebrate by letting it choose your upgrades!
A nice trophy, and the happiness of Upgrade Bot is your only reward. <3
Bow / Hammer Only Challenges
What's your reward for completing them? FIRE UPGRADES!!! >:D
Jetpack: NERFED! and also UNNERFED!
Two major changes happened to the jetpack:
- Nerf: The hammer now swings normally even when jetpacking. You can thank MattShea for highlighting the extreme OPness of the previous version.
- Un-nerf: The jetpack now stops moving the second you let go of the key. This turns out to be very powerful, enabling you to dart forward in short bursts that you can time with your swings!!!
In the right hands this change could be even more deadly than the new fire upgrades!
Endless Mode has a bunch of new levels!
Harvested from the Inferno Challenge, Endless Mode now has many things that are ON FIRE!
Hey so I bought the game on itch...
Read this guide!!!
How do you use Fire Breath?
Get the upgrade, then press F to activate it!
We forgot to make a tutorial. :P
What do I do now???
- Go play the Update! :D
- Write a Steam review!
- Tell all your friends to get the game!
Thanks everyone for your love and support throughout this amazing journey.
We have many more updates in store for you.
These are fun ideas! I agree that it would be cool to see more done with body parts flying off and the fact that bodies can be deformed in real time. :)
At one point in time I was thinking of adding a banana to twitch mode. The audience could throw it at the player as a form of communication. We'll see if we move on that in the future.