So far I absolutely love the game! I think one of its greatest strengths is its intuitive and stream-lined interface. Everything just clicks and flows so easily. No clutter, no complicated tech trees, everything is intuitive and the next step to take is always clear. So far progression seems balanced and the pace just right. Exploring the world and its mechanics is very satisfying.
A few bits of feedback
- It would be nice to be able to delete stacks of items. As your inventory fills up with higher value items later in the game it would be nice to get rid of some low-value item stacks like berries or fruit. Another potential option would be to have some kind of chest you could build to store superfluous items in for later access.
- It doesn't seem like there is a way to destroy the market
- Having useless items like seaweed don't make a lot of sense. I would either add an actual use for seaweed or just have the traps produce a fish instead.
- Later in the game I definitely noticed I ran into some lag. Part of the issue may have been the mountains full of seaweed I threw back into the sea...
- This may be a potential bug, I noticed that if you quickly spammed a consumable rather than waiting for each piece to finish filling the meter that I got significantly less value from the consumable. (Ie. way more hunger is filled by slowly/carefully eating fish vs spamming fish)
Having seen some let's plays of the beta...
- I kind of miss the little blocky character sprite. The new one is not bad but somehow seems less charming for some reason...
- I miss the diamond shaped menus that spread across the screen. The new tile based menu system for crafting seems a lot less fun/exciting.
Overall, amazing game. The changes and new features in the beta look amazing and I cant wait to see (and play) the finished product!! Keep up the good work :)
So I don't know if I just missed a tool tip for this or what, but i had NO IDEA you could sell stuff to the store by throwing things at it!! Once I discovered this on accident, most of my critiques above are no longer valid. Selling allowed me to slim down my inventory, made me not care about useless items/resources since I could sell them, made sea weed make a lot more sense as it adds an element of suspense every time you harvest a fish trap, ect. It also eliminated my lag issue since I didn't have a bunch of harvested resources floating around the map.
Its amazing how it's just one small feature, but the ability to sell things literally removed all of the things I didn't like about the game.
Also, I can confirm that lag is occurring only when there are a lot of flashing/shiny things on the screen at once. Lots of sprites seem to be fine, so it appears to be this effect itself, seems like the gms2 engine doesn't like it very much.