I'm using this tool again and wanted to provide a solution for the garbled text for 2.3. I'm currently using Gamemaker v.126.96.36.1990 of the runtime, IDE v188.8.131.526.
- Use BMFont and the converter tool to get your YY file for Gamemaker 2.3 as expected
- Create a new font in your Gamemaker project with the same name
- Close Gamemaker
- Replace the files
There appears to be a number of errors in the generation of the YY file, which causes Gamemaker to try and repair the file. When it does, it breaks the font at runtime. So basically the PNG is the new font, the YY is the old font. If using GIT or other source control I strongly recommend staging your changes before making the following changes. Gamemaker will complain about each of the issues below when you clean so it's mostly a matter of fixing it as you go.
- Open Gamemaker and clean the asset cache
- The YY will have the size set to "null.0" change this to a valid number, like "12.0"
- Each glyph entry has an offset set to "null". Change this to "0"
- I noticed a duplicate key for "kerningPairs" was entered with "ranges" as a child, instead of a sibling. Delete the duplicate key.
After making these changes it worked as expected.