Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Using The Walls

A topic by Helpinghand97 created Feb 03, 2020 Views: 228 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 4

Do we actually have to use "The Walls" or can we build it from the grounds up? 

Submitted(+1)

You can use anything you like as a starting point or start from scratch. If you start with a blank screen and press Ctrl+Space, you'll get some very basic starting code. Make sure you extend the two theme, as described in other threads (it's not in the manual), unless you're already an experienced Adventuron user. Then start using Ctrl+Space to help you when you need to add something.

Host

Snap.

Host

Hi,

You don't need to use the walls, but the following minimal settings are required... 

Note, you can extend the 'two' theme in the themes section if you wish, if you want to add a custom font / layout / colour scheme.

start_at            = treasure_room
redescribe          = auto_beta
start_theme         = two
treasure_room       = your_treasure_room
game_settings {
   rollback_enabled = true
   imply_header_from_location_id = true
}

The source code for 'two' is built into the editor, see the folder icon at the top (you'll need to clear down the editor if you want to load sample code directly using this method). Remember to take a local backup of your code regularly as your code is not stored on the server.

Regards,

Chris

Submitted

Strictly speaking, you don't need to define treasure_room. You can use:

start_at = your_treasure_room

I've done it this way and it works fine.

And "imply_header_from_location_id = true" is optional. I don't use this, as my location ids are just room01, room02 and so on. I did it this way because I found that the location ids conflicted with the object ids when I wanted the location to be visible as scenery outside the location. (For example, I can see a barn when I'm outside the barn.) It also means that if I change the location name, I've only got to change it in one place.

Host

I think you do have to define a treasure room if you want to be able to have simple "win game" logic. By default, defining a treasure room will add a win game condition and print out the treasures hunt win game message if all objects are present in the treasure room at the when on_tick {} runs. This can be disabled, but without defining a treasure room the treasure_deposited() function will not work, and so you will have to manually count objects.

Submitted

Sorry. You're right. I was getting mixed up because I don't start at the treasure room and it's not called treasure room. You need:

start_at = your_start_room
treasure_room = your_treasure_room
(2 edits)

The following line has started giving me an error message in both my updated version of The Wall and also just the minimal settings you listed above. My updated version of the Wall with custom theming experiments was working fine previously. I’m running Adventuron in the latest version of Safari.

redescribe          = auto_beta

The message says:

Non expected attribute provided:redescribe

Non expected object/collection provided: game_settings

Just confirmed Firefox has the same issue.

Submitted

You might have redescribe in the wrong place. It must be outside anything with curly brackets such as game_settings{}. Have you checked that? Try putting it at the top of the file.

Host

First - backup your game data, 

Select MENU / Save file, 

Then, what url are you using?

It should be:

https://adventuron.io/classroom3

And as Garry said, please check that redescribe and game_settings{} are provided at top level of the game (not inside any other {} block).

Failing all that, I'm willing to take a look at your code if you are comfortable with it:

info@adventuron.io

Solved! I was using https://adventuron.io/classroom instead of https://adventuron.io/classroom3 because I was coming from the main page and didn’t realize there were a couple different versions. I can clearly see the functionality differences between the two versions now that I know what’s going on.

So wait which version are we suppose to be using?

Submitted

Just for this jam, use https://adventuron.io/classroom3/

WELP, its good I found out about this before I really got into the meat of this project lol

Submitted

The link to the classroom3 page is in the very first rule on the overview page. I hope everyone else uses this!