Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Lessons learned

A topic by Breakfish created May 19, 2021 Views: 248 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted(+2)

Out of curiosity, what would everyone say is the main thing they learned doing this jam?

Personally this being my first time entering a jam, I way over-scoped on my project, I'm happy with what I could get done in time, but I feel like this is something I am certainly going to consider more carefully moving forward.

Submitted

I kind of did the opposite and under-scoped, and didn't explain my controls good enough.

Submitted(+2)

this is a cool idea! this was only my second jam, and i’ve learned i tend to make games way too hard lol. I need to learn to take a step back and treat it as if i’m coming to the game brand new with no clue what to do. That and maybe have some friends play test for me. 

Submitted(+1)

yeah! Mine was a lot harder with only 1/2 the jump acceleration, and when my brother played it, he said it was to restrictive. I as the person making and testing it over and over was cool with HAVING to make large drags. But other new players aren't. So I doubled the speed of boxy on the last day. 

Submitted

Yeahhhhh, I made my gameplay pretty difficult. That being said, I think it's okay to have difficult gameplay if that's your intent.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

I have learned that I am stronger than I thought, to finish at least one game :)

My new principles:

• Keep it simple - Before adding new details try to play around with less.
  • Gameplay first - I struggle with it every time. Try to create a good mechanics and balance it before bringing all other stuff like effects, art, e.t.c. I am kinda visual persion, so it requires imagination.
  • Focus on the goal - If you made decition to implement a thing, and you sure it will make your game better, then just do it. It was really difficult for me to decline all new risky ideas that I had no time for.
Submitted(+1)

Yeah I struggle a lot with the opposite, It was very hard for me to make my game visually appealing. but I played your game and it is very cute so good job. 

Submitted

I think it is about my perfectionism. Thanks ;)

Submitted(+1)

This was my first jam and I learnt the following things :

::  Your first idea is probably your best idea.

:: Never OVERSCOPE, keep things simple and finish a prototype with all the mechanics then you can add some details and post processing.

:: Dont change the mind in the middle stick to your current thought.

:: PLAYTEST !

:: HAVE FUN !! :)

Submitted

It was my first game jam and my second ever game! I really enjoyed making the randomly generated enemies and the player.I learned a lot of new things even though my game will probably be last lol