Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

My Approach

A topic by metalsnail created Feb 05, 2020 Views: 107 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

I'm working on a story module for this that is kind of Murder She Wrote meets Silent Hill. I have two story tones going on, a lighter whodunnity one for when players are interacting with NPCs, and a darker psych horror one for when they deal with the darkness directly.

The manifestation of the darkness can be warded against  and made invisible by people untouched by it. I'm adding mechanisms to allow players to pull an NPC into a scene to shift the tone back. Investigation can really only happen when in the darker tone, which gives players a reason to shift it back (one player can shift out of dark mode, all players must agree to shift back in)

Host

Ok you included both Murder She Wrote and Silent Hill... This i going to be good!

You can also make it fun by having the players have to add Threat when shifting out? Making them have to play safe and only engage in the Dark Mode when they absolutely need and feel comfortable doing so?

Submitted(+1)

I spent some time figuring this out tonight, basically, while in light mode, players can't be hurt by the darkness, but also can't see the affects of the darkness. They can solve the human level of the mystery, but not the supernatural one. The shift to dark mode always brings with it a fresh body, and the threat of having your reality distorted and attack from the manifestations of the darkness. There's a third mode that acts something like the X card that Blubeard uses, where players become the writers of the show and can retcon events as they see fit.