Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Interested, but ...

A topic by Wide Arch Shark created Aug 07, 2022 Views: 259 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Hey guys. Lovely idea. I'm a big fan of the PICO-8. Creating some good fun stuff with it.

Question though. Why on earth are you limiting character count? Surely a much better thing to do would be token count?  Making a restriction like this means people can't add comments, and stuff like spacing will be a nightmare!

Just a thought.  I'm probably going to enter a few bits and pieces I've created. Hope you enjoy them :)

(+1)

tokens are a concept specific to pico8, whereas character or byte count is understood by everyone and has precedents with tweetcarts, the sizecoding scene, and so on.

But this is a PICO-8 jam? So surely those people using it would be aware what tokens are? (or at least, they should learn!)

Fair enough though. Rules is rules. Just seems a bit inefficient given the way PICO-8 works! I've personally found the challenge in PICO-8 to be keeping within the token count, not the 64K.

HostSubmitted

Thanks for the Q.

As @merwok already (kindly) added - this type of jam is quite niche, so it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. 馃

That said - this jam will allow to submit additional URL's, including a link to Commented source code).
So, for example, after you've made an entry that's < 1KB - you could (if you felt like it) - make a second copy with added comments, explaining your code for others to learn from.

Anyway, that's the jam and - should you still wish to enter something - I look forward to seeing it. 馃檪

P.S. - You mention about submitting pieces you've created already(?), but the jam period hasn't started yet.
While it's not (yet) in the FAQ - you should only be submitting creations that you made during the actual jam period.
Hope this helps.

Submitted(+1)

The other thing is I'm reasonably sure that this jam is inspired by (an of shoot of) the whole #tweetcart scene.  Part of the joy of doing tweetcarts is crunching things down to fit into a tiny amount of characters.

HostSubmitted

It is indeed! 馃槉馃憤

Submitted

I'm sure most people here are coding something that is slightly larger than 1k, with comments and proper naming conventions, and then going back and removing those extra characters and comments to get the 1k limit but allowing them to program in a sane manner.

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

I guess I've programmed a bunch of little games and tweetcarts in a rather insane manner then, staring directly into the abyss. o_O

On the plus side, if I can do that, I figure I could probably handle doing some coding in assembly if I wanted to learn it.