Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Lord of the Algorithm

A topic by Onarru created Jul 01, 2017 Views: 345 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Host

It was a tough call between this one and The New York Witcher, but I've always loved automated stuff in games so I think I can take this one in a cool direction. My plan is to build a semi-automated RTS that represents hacking. You set up FF12 Gambit style decision trees for your units, then build them and let them do their thing. I've always been better at the programming side of things than visual design/art or story so this idea works without an artist/writer. However if an errant artist or writer have cool ideas for an art style or a way to get a story into a game like this feel free to chime in :D 

This idea is a bit ambitious for a month, I should probably follow my own advice of keeping my pitch simple, but it's one I can't resist. I'll probably stream some of the development on Twitch  periodically if anyone wants to keep up. 

Jam Host

That sounds really cool! Have you ever heard of Carnage Heart? Was kind of an overly complicated mech game for PSX (and later the PSP) that had you doing some flow diagram style programming. I could never really get into because doing all that with a controller was very time consuming I felt like. Might provide some interesting ideas for ya.

Submitted

Coincidentally, I now understand this idea because the FF12 Gambit system was discussed on Waypoint Radio after this was posted. It sounds like a really cool system and I'm looking forward to your take on it.

Goes to check out Twitch stream.

Twitch is protesting for net neutrality.

Some other time then.

Host

Unfortunately I haven't put the time into this that I should have and I'm pretty far behind. I Have the basic "drone" design menu up and running and setting stats in a model that gets stored for later building, but I haven't done the gambit style stuff yet. I might have to cut a lot of corners to get something working, but the more I work on this the more opportunity I see. I might even keep building this out after the jam. 

Submitted

Is this all going to be text based, or are you doing any graphic elements? I could see a text-based hacking game being really interesting. Curious how you're going to design the interface. 

Host

I was thinking 3D RTS. I already have the camera controls working, and the logic will all be 2D. It's just easier to use 3D so I can use simple 3D shapes as the units. 

Host

Well, due to a combination of a death in the family and some very hectic work weeks I haven't gotten much done at all besides a couple menus, and planning/design for the AI system, so I think I'm going to face reality and throw in the towel on getting a game in  before the deadline. This does mean, however, that I'm freely available if anyone would like some programmer assistance/support. I'll also still be helping with the jam and checking in on people's awesome projects and I'm excited to see/play everyone's final results! 

Jam HostSubmitted

That sucks dude. Hope you and your family are well otherwise and get the time you need to grieve. 

And thank you for the offer to everyone to help. I personally still hope you'll share what you've done and planned. It'd be really interesting to see that. Plus just because you haven't completed your game for the jam doesn't mean you can't in the future.

Submitted

So sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best, and look forward to your comments on the other finished projects. Like @OneGameDad said, It would be great if you still shared some of what you accomplished. I think a big part of what I've taken away from this game jam is that peer feedback and seeing how other designers work is an irreplaceable part of learning how to make games. I think we could all benefit from your experience!