Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Dev Log] Do The Right Thing

A topic by 5TEV3N created Jan 02, 2016 Views: 514 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+3)

Hey guys, I'm gonna join in on the bandwaggon by doing a devlog too!

I'm excited to be apart of this Game Jam and I'm looking forward too seeing everyone's work and such!

So let's get down to business.

So I had this idea for a game back in November when I played the game Loved by Alex Ociasbut never got around doing it (mostly because i'm trying to learn c# and im a bit lazy lol). With this GameJam, my main goal is to get that idea out and finally go make that game, have something functional by the end of the 2 weeks and to have something polished and presentable.

Main overview

So what's the game about? Simple. It's a 2D Platformer in which you must reach to your goal.

The twist is that you choose the difficulty of your next level by answering difficult moral dilemmas.

Morally right answers will be displayed on the left of the screen while morally wrong answers will be displayed on the right.

In order for players to play the game at an easy difficulty level, they must pick the answer to the right while picking the one to the left will make the game difficult.

Core Game Loop + Levels (?)

So here's a the game loop of how the game is going to be played (Sorry for the messy drawing/writing)

I also sketched up some levels, Will probably sketch out more levels. I essentially want the easy and hard stages to reflect one another, mostly because it'll be easier to edit (Im kinda lazy lol)

Here's the link to my Tumblr where ill update on my work

HostSubmitted

whoa i scrolled down and read your concept and immediately thought of loved even before i went back up to read that you had been inspired by it. i think mirroring the stages is actually a pretty good idea for reinforcing themes O: !! loved always stuck with me so i'm rly interested in your project!

(+3)

The idea itself is great, it's now up to how the idea is executed

i have a few things to add, hope it helps! (and i apologize in advance)
-The idea of Morally "right" and "Morally "Wrong" is quite different for each individual, and the difference is quite vague, i hope to see questions that will "get you thinking" rather than questions that make you 'question' the question itself (if you know what i mean)
-I also hope to see levels that reflect the player's choice, rather than : "you picked the wrong choice, so i will give you a harder level" because if that's the case all the player has to do is answer "correctly".

An example: (i don't see any 'sample' questions in the image, so i will choose some moral questions myself)

The famous "Trolley Problem" (specifically the Fatman variant) if the player chose to save the lives of many in exchange for one, then when playing the level, the player would only get one life? to say that a life is still a life, no matter what kind it is..

-How about adding an answer that's "Neutral"?

i think that's all that i have to add for this, i really hope to see this game develop!
-CHEERS~

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hey! I really appreciate the input!

-The idea of Morally "right" and "Morally "Wrong" is quite different for each individual, and the difference is quite vague, i hope to see questions that will "get you thinking" rather than questions that make you 'question' the question itself (if you know what i mean)

I think i know what you mean, Morality is an ambiguous topic as everyone has their own judgement in things. In terms of the questions they will probably look like this:

" An individual robs a bank, killing countless people in the process. Only to give that money to the homeless. Will you:

A: Let them go. B: Report them to the authorities."

-I also hope to see levels that reflect the player's choice, rather than : "you picked the wrong choice, so i will give you a harder level" because if that's the case all the player has to do is answer "correctly"

In terms of player choice, I wanted the player to choose the option displayed on the right (Hence the title, Do The Right Thing) to get the player to go against their morality just to play the game at an easier level. It makes the player choose whether or not they want to play the game as a player or as a person (If that makes sense).

-How about adding an answer that's "Neutral"?

Ill probably consider it once i got everything done