SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Keeping It Cool [Devlog]

A topic by Kara created Jan 27, 2020 Views: 366 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 13
Submitted(+1)

Day 2,

When you decide to scrap your entire project, you've gotta work extra hard to make up for lost time.

...Which is what I've spent all of today doing!

// Fun Fact: Coding a game with a lot of dialogue and click options as your first ever game isn't all that easy, or fun//

So, instead, I'm working on a game called Keeping It Cool! I'll use the theme: "cold" both in terms of temperature and in terms of character traits. 

Basic Summary

Over time, a meter (which will be displayed in the top right of the screen) will slowly deplete. Once it runs out, your ice cream melts and you lose the level. The player will have to platform, while also making sure to avoid warm objects and go towards cold objects. 

Overall, a pretty simple little game! I want to keep it short to guarantee that I actually finish it.

Completed:

1. Several environmental sprites
  2. Character sprites and most animations
  3. Character controls
  4. Main background music

To Do:

1. Jump animation
  2. Add warmth meter
  3. Add cold objects
  4. Add warm objects
  5. Main menu
  6. Sound effects
  7. Title / Game Icon

Looking forward to working on this more tomorrow, and best of luck to other first time jammers/developers as well!

-Kara

Submitted

cream girl

(+1)

This is a really cute idea.

Submitted

thanks!

Submitted(+1)

Day 3, 

I haven't had much time to make progress today. However, I've still added a couple key features and I wanted to show some of them!

I added the decreasing ice timer, and added animated blue coins and a simple platform! (Working on making it a one-way platform). Also, dropping far enough causes the level to restart, and so does the timer hitting zero.

Hopefully I'll be able to work on it more later tonight! If I do, I'll have some more things to show off, so stay tuned. 

Completed:

1. Several environmental sprites
  2. Character sprites and most animations
  3. Character controls
  4. Main background music
  5. Add Warmth Meter

To Do:

1. Jump animation
  2. Add cold objects
  3. Add warm objects
  4. Main menu
  5. Sound effects
  6. Title / Game Icon

-Kara

Submitted(+1)

Day 4, 

I managed to get a lot done today! In fact, I might be done with the game pretty soon. Which is good, because I'm going to also be participating in the Nokia game jam in a few days! A much shorter time period, but hopefully I'll be able to complete it. 

Anyways, these are the things I completed today!

1. Blue Coins now refill the ice meter.
  2. Wall jump works but is finicky
  3. Completed making the first 2 levels
  4. Added flag that sends the player to the next level
  5. Made a few more sprites
  6. Started making the main menu.

...This is not the final menu, it's just a temporary for now. 

As always, good luck to my fellow jammers! I'll continue to provide updates until I am finished.

-Kara

Submitted(+1)

This sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!

Submitted

thank you!

(+1)

I love the graphics-style. Looks really playful! I'd love to see some gifs of the gameplay if you get the chance :)

Submitted

Will upload some soon!

Submitted(+2)

Idle Animation and Coin Spin Animation!

Submitted(+1)

Frozen Meter Depleting!

Submitted(+1)

This looks neat! I like your graphics and animation!

Submitted

Day 5,

Once again, I didn't have much time to work on Keeping it Cool today. Which is unfortunate! However, I'm confident I'll be done within the next few days. 

I have finished the main menu, and all of the music! All that's left is sound effects, more levels, and the ending of the game. Anyways, good luck as always!

-Kara

Submitted(+1)

Gameplay so far!

(yes it's not a lot but I'm proud lol).

-Kara

Submitted

Day 6, 

For now, I think I'm finished! The game isn't perfect and I'll probably tweak it more later, but for now I'm going to submit it! A very short game, but I hope those of you who check out submissions will enjoy.

Host(+1)

omg this is so cute!! i love premise and little animations--and it's overall such a well scoped game. congrats on finishing!!

Submitted

Thank you so much!