Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Dev Log] this is the end.

A topic by T. J. Stoker created Jan 05, 2018 Views: 585 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Hey fellow jammers, I've started working on my game... I decided to  title it 'this is the end.' So far I have scribbled down some ideas and I am starting to work on them. I have the basic idea that you are exploring some sort of afterlife in a castle. You collect objects that remind you of your lifetime (memories). Not the best idea, but that's okay with me. I am using Bitsy to make the game, honestly, I think if I used anything any more complex, I would set myself up to fail.

Here is a screenshot of what I have so far...

That's a really cool looking lil room! Memory collecting sounds really interesting too, I'm looking forward to it :3

Submitted

Thank you for the encouragement! :)

Submitted

So cute! What sort of obstacles does the player face during the game?

Submitted

Thanks! I was thinking of having mazes, puzzles, etc. Towards the end of the game I decided to have an area where you stumble around in the dark avoiding traps. 

Submitted

UPDATE Jan 6

I fleshed out most of the game levels. I've started decorating the levels and am adding events to happen in the areas. I decided to have sets of rooms share a color, then have the next set of rooms to be on a different color palette. I also experienced my first 'bug' I had an object that would not act as a wall. I had to open the HTML file and manually type in WAL true. Seems the editor wasn't adding the WAL option in by itself. Right now I'm writing dialogue for the characters and descriptions what the player sees and feels. Here are a couple of screenshots of how the game is looking...

(The green room shows an example of the memories that the player experiences... the purple room shows an example of the first puzzle the player is likely to encounter.)

Submitted

The color palette thing sounds like a good idea for clarity.

Submitted (3 edits) (+1)

UPDATE JAN 7

I'm continuing to work on the text in the game. I also tweaked the levels a bit and have started planning out the final levels (an area where you stumble around in the dark, trying to get past its devious puzzles...)

I also have worked on a little cover art to submit with the game... here it is:

(I drew the cover art in GIMP... such a wonderful free tool)

Now, most of the work I need to do is finish the levels and add scripted items into the game. I'm really excited to be making such good progress on my first game ever! :D

Submitted

Ahhh that art <3

Submitted

UPDATE JAN 8

I have mainly been writing and piecing together the story to where it will make sense. (Not that it's really making any sense now!) The grim reaper figure has bits of conversation that's mainly cryptic. Such as:

“Are you lost? Look deep inside yourself and you'll find your way.”

I've also written some descriptions of what you see, experience, etc. I think it will add a lot of life to the otherwise plain, drab rooms.

Ahead of you lies strange decorative floor tiles, they seem to shift as you stare at them. Slight clicking noises emit from underneath the tiles.

The memories theme comes into play as you encounter items littered throughout the dungeon that trigger your memories from your past...

As you pick up the cast you remember the time when you were climbing in a tree. Your foot took to some moss and slipped. The next thing you remember was a sharp pain in your arm… this device allowed your broken bone to heal without disturbance. You feel an itching, sweating sensation on your arm as you think of how long it seemed to be waiting for the cast to be removed.

Submitted

UPDATE Jan 10

Today has mainly been polishing to the game. I've playtested several the areas and have fixed some design errors. Grammar errors have been fixed. All of the areas in the game have been linked together and most of the rooms are fully functional, save for a few rooms towards the end of the game. I added a couple more items to trigger memories and have a rough draft of the ending which ties all of your memories together. I've also made some new tiles to add some more graphical variation to the game. 

Host

aaa this is very beautiful! i love the cover art. the flavor text is also really lovely... "Slight clicking noises emit from underneath the tiles." in particular has such a specific creepy mood to it--it really drew me in. great stuff! i'm excited about this!!

Submitted

Thank you

Submitted

I like the colors in this a lot! 

Submitted

UPDATE - Jan 12

Finally finished the game, I play-tested it, fixed graphical errors, grammar errors (I'm sure there are loads I've missed), added some more in game text, and etc. I had lots of problems figuring out how to upload the darn thing as a jam game. :-) Anyways, it's uploaded now for anyone who wants to give it a play!