SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] Pudding and The Secret of The Lost Sock

A topic by Ev created Jan 07, 2017 Views: 701 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 12
(+6)

Concept

A house cat named Pudding convinces her friends to play DnD with her.

Game Engine

RPG Maker VX Ace

Assets

Pixel art for characters and maps will be done by me, and I may attempt at messing around with music but it may all come from creative commons stuff.

Gameplay

It will probably have response options, but they won't really change the ending I don't think. If it does I may make a point system that if you get a certain number of points you'll get a bad end. I might use the side battle system or I might use a tactical battle system like fire emblem or pokemon mystery dungeon.

(+3)

You had me at the first sentence.

Submitted(+2)

Love that concept! Haha, I'll keep an eye on this project! <3

(6 edits) (+3)

Day One

I spent more of today writing up items and enemies than I did actually creating placeholders, as well as finding some scripts that will help with my game. So I have a list of items sitting on my document with their effects, and I got a concept for the final sprite will look like-ish too.

Ignore that those background pixels are blurry as fuck i was scaling them around bc i wasnt sure how big i wanted them.

Host(+2)

^^^ SAME i'm hooked just on the first sentence i'm so pumped for this!!

(+2)

Day 2

Believe it or not I've been working on this all day, which I'm proud of because usually I get distracted. It's been too cold to go out and do anything though so I stayed cozy in my room doing mediocre pixel art.

These are all of the rooms I've gotten done today. They're not perfect but I'll focus on cleaning up and detailing things later down the line.

I think I'll spend the rest of my day writing the script and solidifying the game further down the line so I can start on those areas. Since this is the starting area this won't change all too much.

(+1)

This is looking really nice so far! Beautiful color schemes!

(+1)

Day 3

• Added a full screen and an actor battle icon script.
  • Switched colors of the bedroom to match rest of apartment
  • Wrote a bit of the starting script.
  • Added 2 scripted events and some switches to activate other events.
  • Planned out the first "arc".
  • Worked out some character designs.

Today I focused more on classes, but tomorrow I only have one class, so I will get more work done, specifically with pixel art, then.

To do tomorrow:

• Pixel and map dungeon #1 and town.
  • Create placeholder sprites for the party.
  • Write the rest of the opening script.
  • Look up how to balance classes and enemies bc wth.

Day 4

So far ive only gotten around to messing around with dungeon layouts because apparently I needed 4 hours to stare blankly into the abyss. These are really only me messing around with puzzle ideas and different dungeon rooms but if you have any tips for how to create interesting dungeon maps please.... tell me... apparently ive never seen one with the number of video games I've played....

I'm about to start writing some stuff and throw together party member placeholders since that will take a total of 3 seconds.

(+1)

i'm so on board with this omgggg what a perfect concept. i'm stoked to see the items and enemies you have planned!

when it comes to mapping, it can really help to check out some map screenshot threads on the rpgmaker forums; they get pretty massive, and going through a few pages can net you a lot of advice and inspiration. your maps are looking neat so far though, and i love the color schemes!

(1 edit) (+1)

Day 5

Annnd my progress has slowed to a trickle for the week, but after tomorrow should be back for the long weekend.

Today I made some face placeholders:

Possibly final (probably not), with tweaking, adding color or changing a few things but this is the main gang.

(+1)

These past few days I focused on getting my work done for school, and haven't really gotten anything out. But over the next few days I'm going to go in and flesh out areas and add in dialog so that by the end of the jam I'll have a prototype for what i guess would be part one (which is easy bc i devided the plot in to 3 parts thanks @ self).

(+1)

Also do pixel art for the areas that I had things planned out for