Tags

Untitled project - 3d roguelite

A topic by Alex created Jul 05, 2022 Views: 636 Replies: 29
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 21 · Next page · Last page
Submitted(+2)

Hi, this is my first jam,

I'm not used to doing devlogs but am going to give it a try

Concept:

A shade with a rare gemstone embedded in their stomach wants some friends and goes out looking for them, but an evil corporation wants the gemstone.

It sounds silly out of my head, but to fit the theme it's about healing their solitude

It will be a 3D third-person shooter roguelite

Mechanics:

Fairly simple, go through procedurally generated levels, make it to the boss, defeat boss, go on the the next level

Throughout, can collect additional characters and upgrades

All upgrades through the run will be exclusive to the run

I will be using Unreal Engine 4.25, Blender & Photoshop

Submitted(+1)

I've added two of the four playable characters in-game

I'm going for that ps1 low poly vibe

Shade - first playable character

Junk Mage - unlocked in-game

I still haven't thought of a name for my game yet, hopefully something strikes me in the next couple of days

Submitted(+1)

this is really cool, and the characters look awesome!! I love the floating of the second one! 

it seems like it's coming together well-- good luck!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hi Deee3, thank you so much, yeah i was really excited to do that floating guy event though he was the second character i created him first. I had this bonkers idea about this magic trash hermit that has all this junk floating behind him. I've got a whole personality and story written out for him. Let's hope i have time to explore that 

Submitted(+1)

This look really ! i like ps1 game, tell me when your game is out i will play it !

Submitted

Definitely will! Although it will probably be the same time as everyone else due to the jams deadline. I chose the ps1 style as i like it too and it's much easier to do original art for then a high res game imo.

Congrats on joining your first jam! Love the concept. If you're looking for music, I've got some free time in the next couple weeks and would love to help. I work primarily in orchestral (both intimate and epic) and medieval fantasy music. Also skilled at solo piano/strings. I love to set a mood and tell stories with music, and I'm flexible and committed! Check out my stuff on Soundcloud  and email me at betweentherainspublishing@gmail.com if you think it would be a good fit.

Submitted

Thank you :) I have zero experience with music so maybe haha. I haven't even thought about what to do about that for this game. Food for thought.

P.s. i checked out your SoundCloud and you weren't joking about the epic part. Tbh a bit fantasy for this title but maybe a future project. Thanks for the offer though

Thanks so much! Actually I got a few requests from others and some big homework assignments coming up, plus a big business trip in a week, so I'm no longer available for this jam. But absolutely keep me on your contacts list and reach out in the future!

Submitted

Day - 4

Been working on the main menu and given a working title of Couree (Not sold on this title - may change)

Need to improve model and textures of the house, but good enough for place holder currently

The characters will "move" into the house once unlocked and will idle around in the background
More items can be added to the house for decorations, purchased with in-game currency

-----

Also been working on the level generation

It's a really simple system that will select a random level from an array and offset from previous once map conditions met (i.e. walking up to the hit box)

Just need to create some more levels, enemies, allies, health system, upgrade system, etc. and I'll have a game

I'm planning, if I get enough time is to set up alternate game modes like - unlimited run where the levels can generate from arrays outside of the themed 'course'.

And a defense mode where you have to protect the house 
Only if I get time

Until tomorrow

Submitted

THAT LOOKS SO GOOD I LOVE IT

Submitted(+1)

Thank you octogoon. I'm glad you like it ^_^

Submitted

Day - 5

Been a bit of a slow one today

Been working on enemy behaivour and all the issues that come with that

A few quality of life things like projectiles that work and actually collide with the environment. Mostly behind the scenes kind of stuff

1. Progress saving
  2. Options - such as full screen and windowed mode
  3. Upgrade system - power ups and such (more on that tomorrow)
  4. Had a massive bug with infinite loops
  5. etc.

What I can show is a new enemy type. It will fly at you and then fire from the sky

And just so the other enemy isn't forgotten

Added a few more levels to the already impressive two so far. Lots more to come

Looking forward to showing some actual gameplay soon

Till tomorrow

Submitted(+1)

Looks pretty interesting and the low poly-ness (idk if that's right) to it adds some personality. Good luck on the future development of it and hopefully, you won't come across more of those "infinite loop" bugs.

Submitted

Thank you, sounds right to me haha. Yeah I've run into a lot more bugs then I expected. That one in particular was due to a child parent actor loop that I didn't know could happen. Bug fixing feels like such a waste of time :(

Submitted

Yeah, bugs suck. But I guess we can't really do anything about it :(. Hopefully you were able to fix those bugs.

Submitted

Day - 6

Trying to bring things together,

Still have a lot of content to make but the core gameplay loop is down

Upgrades have been implemented

Currently they are really simple billboards - although learnt how to do animated materials - so that's a plus

Made the character specific upgrade system so that the upgrades effect different characters differently

No new models to show off today but will upload a video of a short playthrough

No boss battle unfortunately (yet!)

Till tomorrow
Host(+2)

WOW!!!!! I'm genuinely in awe this is amazing! I love the art + aesthetic you've got going on here. Genuinely seeing each post just made my jaw drop--keep it up!

Submitted

Thank you very much. I think the intent was ps1 but ended up more n64. I'll keep working hard to have it finished on time (hopefully). 

I really like your logo and the development so far! Really gives me PS1 vibes

Submitted

Thanks ftisaiah. I'm glad it does, I modelled it after the splash screen. At this point it's 6 seconds out of my life everytime I need to play test haha.

Submitted(+1)

I love the art of this game !

Submitted(+2)

Haven't done any work this weekend.

Thought I'd share some pages of concepts before I started the project

This was my first page on concept, it's evolved a little since then

On characters, I'll share the two I've already shown:

In regards to levels, I've been drawing them out as a tile then using as a reference for modelling in 3D

Thought I'd share a little on how I have been approaching planning and development of whatever my game is called

I'd be happy to share more of my design documents if anyone is interested - just know, if I share more on it, then there would be spoilers for content I haven't shared yet ;p

I'll get back to development tomorrow - only a week to go and so much to do

Submitted(+2)

Day - 10

I've finished the first area I'd say

Added in audio, but to be honest, it's on the meh side

Here's the current state of the game, also don't judge that I lost against the first boss

Still plenty to do - still have a few days to go

Hopefully it'll be fun 

Till tomorrow 

Submitted

This looks awesome- it's really cool to see everything come together in that gameplay demo. You really nailed the low poly vibes.

Submitted(+1)

Day almost done,

Letting everyone know, I'm still working on it and have landed on a name Cossnock (it doesn't mean anything)

Below is the fully upgraded house and all furniture has to be unlocked, each piece will spawn in an upgrade when each run is started, to help out a bit.

Here is the house with no upgrades

I've had to scale down how many levels can spawn as I seriously underestimated how long it would take to do

It seems like not many but here is all of them

Additionally, the third of four playable character (the fourth won't be present as I don't have the time) - this character will be unlocked by completing the first two levels

Hopefully the game is enjoyable as there is so much stuff I had to cut

So far the project is around 355mb which is on the larger side for a PS1 game (I think) and I have no idea how much bloat UE4 will add once compiled. But it's on track to have a playable game by either tonight, or tomorrow.

Till then

Submitted

So I compiled the project ready to submit and all the textures were black.

I forgot that I was using a console command that doesn't go across to a packaged product. I should have it fixed in no time and then to submit.

Lots I didn't get around to but learnt a lot

I'll have my project repackaged and hopefully functional soon

Submitted(+1)

It's submitted

Please check it out https://alxinc.itch.io/cessnock

I worked really hard on it and if you unlock everything you can play as a dog

Submitted(+1)

I really love this aesthetic. Looking forward to see where you go in the future.

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 21 · Next page · Last page