Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Unnamed pirate game

A topic by Moltak created Jul 14, 2018 Views: 411 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted(+2)

Hello everyone I am Moltak, hobbyist developer.

For this jam I'll be using Godot game engine for the first time, I used to work with Gamemaker Studio but since GM:S 2 was launched I have been looking for a free alternative so I am giving Godot a try.

For now my game is going to be a slanted top down naval game were you "Captain 'The player'" will defend against the "Black Sails"

Current progress is only a simple player ship.

Cool! How are you liking Godot so far? I just started on Godot myself and I really like the node/scene structure and am finding gdscript more intuitive than languages like java and C#.

Submitted

Coming from Gamemaker I miss some stuff and getting my head around "Everything is a scene" did get me confused at times.

But the editor is much nice than the old Gamemaker Studio one the only thing I'm missing the most is middle click documentation but the search feature almost covers it.

Host

ohhh sweet! do you have a picture of the player ship, or if it's just a prototype of it some kind of gif of it working?

Submitted(+1)
The art style is still temporary but I'm thinking about that size Play Area/Ships
Host

oh nice! so you're working with a voxel art style? i like how legible the ships are already.

Submitted

Day 3

Progress has been much slower than I had hoped, both an unusually busy week and my inexperience with Godot engine have slowed me down.
The player is now fully functional in the scope of the game I want to build.
The only missing feature is the enemies for the goal scope of the game and depending on the time remaining more features will be added

Submitted

Day 4

I got some time to work on the game today but not nearly as much as I would've liked, I have implemented enemies in the most basic form, all they can do is aim at the player and bounce around but most of the groundwork has been laid and I do hope to be able to finish some basic AI before the deadline.

TODO:

Finish enemy AI.
UI (Score, Player lives)
Load art assets
Goal? (currently is nothing more than a top-down shoot em up)

Submitted

The game has been released, unfortunately, I did not have enough time to polish the game at all I had some very busy weeks and could only work on the game for 4 days a couple hours each.
The 3d-ish effect I used didn't work well with the cannons I did not have time to test this at all, there are no sounds and the ai is nonexistent to say the least.
My limited time was managed very poorly the first weekend of the jam was when I had the most available time yet I spent all the first day working on the 3d-ish effect.
I learned a lot about how to make games with the Godot engine with the experience I gained I'd say couple more jams and I could've had this game in a state I'd be happy with.
The hardest part coming from Gamemaker studio for me has been collision detection they work in completely different ways and I didn't quite get them right in the game.