Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

problem:

A topic by My-Games created Oct 23, 2021 Views: 413 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6

So I don't think game jams are supposed to tell their themes because someone might cheat?, and it's also 5 days left before the jam starts so if there are cheaters then there will be a big disadvantage for the jammies, I know you said you will check, but how exactly?

Submitted(+4)

sure go make a game on death only to realise you have to start over cause of the limitation

(+1)

No but its just sad if ur starting earlier, and it isn't a big problem because there isn't any prize or smth so don't cheat...

Submitted

If someone does his game before the jam we will notice, when the jam starts a random limitation is revealed an devs MUST follow that limitation. Limitations often are weird things like "the main character is a flower" so is really difficult to guess

(+1)

Yeah, I was also worried about that during Mini Jam 91: UFO since that was my first one. However, the limitations are VERY random and worth more score than the theme of the jam. For example, last one's was "Fish as a mechanic". Sure, you could replace your main character to make it a fish and cheat, but that game wouldn't be received very well on the "Use of Limitation" category of the jam, and could highly lower the score (or not, depending on the people). But yeah, the limitation could make you have to start all over again even with the theme, so it's not that easy as it sounds.

I've only ever been into one Mini Jam before (last one), and yeah; it's not very beneficial to start before the startline.

Also, as some people said before, it's almost very easy to tell if a dev is cheating starting before the jam begins:

- The game is submitted very soon after the jam begins (1-4 hours, I guess).

- The game is too worked for a jam game (Very good, fitting and smooth custom animations, music, sfx, too much levels or mechanics, etc.)

- The game could fit most of the limitations presented in voting.  (On the jam page there's a page to vote for a limitation. If the game could fit more than 2 of them, it's really probably made by a cheater).

Finally. The jam is made for devs to improve or to have fun. There's no prize money unless someone else wants to give one (the host seems not to do that). So basically you're just tricking yourself into thinking you're better than everyone else. Even if you get promotion because of your game, if you continue to do this, you will eventually be caught and reputation will fall.

Submitted

The limitation will make sure no one cheats lmao