Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Gamebook Systems?

A topic by Derek Metaltron created Feb 17, 2021 Views: 241 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+1)

This is probably the thing I am debating most about approaching this - do I try and create a new gamebook system that suits the gamebook in question (which I haven't done before ), or do I use an established system people are likely familiar with (and hopefully won't get sued for)? Not sure what everyone else is thinking with this. 

HostSubmitted(+1)

Up to you! Established systems will be easier to grab hold of, but new mechanics are always interesting to see and I think people enjoy learning new ways to play. Of course the problem is needing testing afterwards!

(+1)

Thanks! I am looking at a few systems from other writers for inspiration anyway, plus picking up Zero to Hero from Mark Lain to get a sense of shorter games alongside some others I have found online.

Submitted

Could you share what other short ones you found online?

(+1)

Sure! A great source of inspiration for short gamebooks is the Windhammer Competition winners on the Chronicles of Arborell website - this was a competition run from 2008 to 2015 with some distinctive storylines.

https://www.arborell.com/windhammer_prize.html

There is also a fan website for Fighting Fantasy that has original works using the same FF system, though most of these are novel sized.

http://ffproject.com/

Hope those help!

Submitted

I'm definitely creating my own system. That way I can ensure the best fit to what I want to do. It is also nice to have that freedom, rather than being obliged to use an established system associated with the intended recipient of the adventure. 

Before the Gamebook zine started up, I was looking at writing a adventure for the Fantasy Fanzine but I really was not fussed about having to use a system like the Fighting Fantasy one and was wondering how far I could get away with deviating from the standard rules.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Gamebook Zine is all about new and interesting mechanics - feel free to invent something completely new here - dont feel like you have to keep to tradition!