Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Metroidn't theme question

A topic by ryankeeton created May 16, 2023 Views: 693 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+2)

Hello! Could someone explain the "Metroidn't" theme to me? Is it like a subversion of Metroid or Metroidvanias? I'm sure the themes are open to interpretation, but didn't really get that one

HostSubmitted(+1)
Haha it's a weird one! The person who suggested metroidn't said "Either you metroid or you metroidn't". There's been a couple of interpretations in the Discord server, one being to focus exclusively on the Castlevania side of things (since metroidvania is a combination of both terms). Some thought about a reverse metroidvania, some others as having a setting on a seemingly opposite side of Metroid... There's many ways to interpret it! I should point out that choosing metroidn't still requires you to make a metroidvania, and you can pick another or more themes to mitigate this one.
(+1)

Sounds good, thanks for the reply! :)

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

I'm the guy who made that suggestion. I'm delighted by the amount of ideas people have thrown out about it--I think staying more or less within the confines of the genre, or needling at the boundaries (a little--but not so much that it wouldn't fit the jam, as Falcon mentioned above) is probably about what I was thinking of. The other interpretation I would have would be to go 100% unserious or even a bit trolly with the game, but as this isn't a trollgame jam, I'm hesitant to publicly recommend that interpretation :)

lol makes sense! Thanks for explaining further