Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions and Answers Sticky

A topic by Spinoff created Mar 25, 2022 Views: 946 Replies: 39
Viewing posts 1 to 18
Host(+1)

If you have any questions, leave your question here and we'll get to it ASAP.

(+1)

So we can’t participate if we don’t have an iphone?

Host

I’m sorry, Jael. You need iPhone to participate 😥 If you don’t have one, I hope to meet you at another event we will hold in the future.

Do we have to post our game on twitter?  I don't really want to make an account...

Host

For now, yes. However, I will discuss this with my colleagues and see what we can do. I will get back to you soon.

Thanks!

Host

Hi, sorry for the delay. So, we have decided to remove the Twitter posting requirement. We will update the jam description accordingly soon.

I guess it could still be helpful to tweet about your game so more people can enjoy and rate it during the rating period, though :)

Please do let us know if you have any questions or suggestions. Thank you!

Ok thanks!

Aight, too bad it’s SO limited as to who can participate. This way I see it just as more of a promotional action, than a true game jam :)

Host

We are sorry for not having the Android app yet. It is in development, though, so if we host another jam in the near future, we will try to have it ready by then. Please do contact us for suggestions and feedback. Thank you.

Submitted

is there a theme?

Host(+1)

No, there‘s no theme. It is our first jam, so we wanted to keep things somewhat free and lax. Thank you!

(+1)

To those without iphones wanting to join on windows you can use emulators like: 

Xamarin Testflight 

which comes with the official app store.

Submitted

Hi there, I had a quick question regarding rule 4 - could you guys elaborate on what would be considered explicit or offensive content? Would light usage of cartoon blood / cartoon violence be considered too offensive or explicit for the game jam? 

Host(+1)

The age rating of our app on the App Store is 12+. So we thought it would be nice if the app's contents adhered to this guideline as well.

We do not think light usage of cartoon blood/violence would be an issue at all.

For your reference, the Age Rating section of our app's App Store page already mentions the following.

- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence

Thank you so much for your interest. Looking very much forward to playing your game :)

Submitted

What is the maximum game/scene length that the app supports? And would you consider extending the submission deadline?

Host

There are no limits to maximum game/scene lengths that the app supports. There is, however, a limit of 999 pages per scene.

Yes, we have been getting more than a few requests about extending the submission deadline. I think I will have to discuss the issue with my colleagues. We will get back to you about this soon.

Submitted

wait did the submission period extend? because i remember it being shorter

Host

Yes. As we wrote on the jam page, the submission period got extended. You should have received an email explaining it in detail.

Thank you so much for submitting a lovely game, by the way. All of the team have been enjoying it. Just one thing, though. You might not have entered the proper dimension when submitting the game. If you edit the Viewport dimensions as explained in the How to submit section of the jam page, your game should look even better!

Submitted

thanks for the info and the comments on the game! i will change the dimensions rn tho

Submitted (1 edit)

Hello I have some qestions here

1. Can I make Horror story? or Love story?

2. Can I use variables?

Host

Sure, please do make a horror story. We love horror stories!

Yes, the app has a variable feature, where variables hold integer values. You can then use them in your conditional clauses. If you need a more advanced feature, please let us know, and we will try to add it with future updates.

Thank you.

Submitted

I think you need add some features like hide/show hotspot and bgm control (with any scene we can turn off, replay, change bgm) 

Host

Hi,

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions!

I will create an issue regarding the hotspot on our issue tracker and follow up with my colleagues. As for the BGM control, we have been getting similar requests and are working on it. Unfortunately, I do not think it will not be ready for this jam, though.

Please do let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thank you.

Submitted

I don’t have a paypal account, is stripe eligible?

Host

Yes, we can do that. Do you have a specific method using Stripe in mind? If you send us a payment link, we will "make the payment" using the credit card.

Submitted

I’ll update the submission info with my ko-fi, that should do the job (’:

Hello. Do you have a Discord server to discuss the event or ask questions from here?

Host(+1)

Hi. Sorry, we do not have a Discord server. Please feel free to ask questions here. You can also send us an email if you want. Thank you!

Submitted

Suggestion for a future app update: 

Let the user change when BGM is used on a page-by-page basis. I want to use a song for one part of my scene, but I can't fade it out where I want because choosing a BGM track forces it to play the full length of the song regardless of page or scene. As it is, it really isn't a tool that can be effectively utilized. Would love to see that change later on.

Host

Hi Jimothyburns, thank you so much for the valuable suggestion. We have been getting similar requests regarding the BGM, and it is one of the higher priority tasks that we are working on. While we do not have an estimated release date at the moment, we will try to have the update ready as soon as possible. Thank you!

Submitted (1 edit)

Glad to hear it! Another small quality of life suggestion would be to be able to conveniently designate which pages have certain backgrounds. As it stands, you can either manually input backgrounds each time for each page, or you can "Apply background to all pages in this scene." Neither options are particularly convenient if you switch backgrounds multiple times in a scene. I'm enjoying the app, though!

Host

We never thought about having such an interface before, but I can imagine many cases where such a feature would be very convenient. I will discuss how we might be able to implement it with my colleagues. Thank you!

Submitted

I can't see my game in Submission page. Is everthing okay? what is the problem? And also, can I join with 2 games in an account? Thanks :)

Host

Hi!

On our game jam page, a section titled "How to submit?" explains how you can submit your game. Were you able to complete all seven steps? If not, could you tell me which step you are having trouble with?

Also, yes, you can submit multiple games. However, each participant will be eligible for only a single prize. We wrote about this in the item #8 of the "Rules" section.

Thank you so much for participating in the jam. Again, if you keep experiencing issues, please provide us with a bit more detail, and we will try to resolve them promptly. You can send us an email at support@playspinoff.com as well.

Thank you!

Host (1 edit)

Oh, and one more thing.

It seems that you have already uploaded the game to your itch.io account. In such case, all you have to do is,

1. Tap the Submit your project button on the top of our jam page, then,
  2. Choose the game you want to submit under the Existing game section on the following screen, fill in the information, and click on the Submit button.

I hope this helps. Again, if the above does not work, or you need any assistance, please let us know anytime.

Thank you!

Submitted

Firstly, thanks for your answers. In my country, we can't use paypal so I don't have any paypal account. What can we do about it?

Host

Hmm. Difficult to say, especially as, at the moment, I am not sure what methods are available in your country. If you could send us an invoice that we can pay with a credit card, maybe that could work. Perhaps we could discuss this over email.

Submitted

Hi, I submitted my game THE SORCERER STONE a couple of days ago, but I don't see it on the submissions page even though I followed all directions. Is there anything that can be done

Host

Hi, seems like you have,

• submitted the game to your itch.io account, but
  • did not submit it to our jam.

Since we know you had the intention to join the jam from your previous postings, and the game was made before the deadline, I believe we should accept your game to the jam. I will see how we might be able to do it, and get back to you. We have checked the email as well, so we will send you an email reply.

Thank you!