Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jam Security

A topic by FedCap created Jan 11, 2021 Views: 186 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

After browsing for a while, i ve found a suspicious looking "game" (FoxyFiles) that:

a. Dont seem to match the theme

b. Dont have any sort of picture, image or long description

c. account was created and game was posted a day after the begining of the Jam

d. ask for installation of a weird Wizard Setup and tells you to ignore antivirus

e. game file is just 3 Mb

I suspect this might be malicious software, but I dont know because im fairly new at this. I know that with many games Avast Antivirus Pops up and warns you that the file is dangerous when its not, But very few games dont have pictures, and even fewer ones ask you to install a Wizard Setup (Although During Brackeys 2020.2 GameJam I found a game that asked me to install software because it used a custom Engine, but it had pictures, descriptions and theme matched).

I would like to know if that is a posibility, and what advice someone with more experience can give me to avoid geting something malicious. I just started doing this Last year and dont have much experience.

Submitted

Oh I'm almost 100% certain it's malware, but can't give confirmation since I am NOT downloading anything that obviously sketchy. Install Wizards are usually a dead giveaway that there's some malintent going on, since most engines let you export to an executable/equivalent.

Host(+2)

Thank you. Reported and removed just in case. It does seem very suspicious.

Submitted

That's probably why it crashed my Ubuntu. Oh wait...