Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Did I create the most challenging game in "Gdevelop BIG Game Jam #4" ?

A topic by Xigame created Aug 16, 2023 Views: 174 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

Hello everyone !

I don't know about you, but I'm really enjoying testing your games and leaving comments.

Of course, I'm receiving feedback too, and I've noticed that one common theme regarding my game is the difficulty in completing level 4...

With a total of 13 levels ( including the tutorial level ), I'm starting to wonder if my game ( https://xigame.itch.io/switch ) might actually be the most difficult in this game jam.

So, who will be the first one to conquer this 4th level then ?

----------

Anyway, for those who haven't managed to progress through the levels, I wanted to share with you what happens in each level :

- Level 0 : Tutorial ( follow the text to learn game concepts and practice )

- Levels 1, 2 : Easy Mode ( impossible to die )

- Levels 3, 4 : Easy/Medium Mode ( possible to fall off platforms and die )

- Levels 5,6 : Medium Mode ( smaller platforms and blades that can cut the ball requiring avoidance or resulting in death )

- Levels 7, 8 : Medium/Hard Mode ( same as before but wider levels )

- Levels 9, 10 : Hard Mode ( smaller platforms again and requiring precise jumps or mastering wall jumps )

- Level 11 : Hard/Extreme Mode ( pixel-perfect jumping required and mandatory use of the chronoportation concept )

- Level 12 : Extreme Mode ( all challenges combined, almost impossible due to platforms being the size of the ball )

----------

I might consider creating a level walkthrough screenshot to provide some assistance in completing all of them...

If you're interested, feel free to let me know !

PS : For those who might think I haven't tested my own game, that's not the case.

Here's a screenshot of my best scores ( not the actual best, because I just played my own game to verify that it wasn't made impossible by a potential bug on itch, and that's not the case as I completed the whole game in about 30 minutes ) :

I can't wait to find out who will be the first to finish my game...

- Xigame

Submitted(+1)

I know I already commented on your game (I was part of the level 4 crew) I don't think difficulty itself is necessarily a problem at all! 

In the context of a jam though, if I get stuck on a level I'll definitely give them a few goes, but after 5-6 attempts, I might start to consider calling it there. By that point I've played enough of the game to leave a comment and rating so! 

I feel bad when I don't play through all of the work that someone's put into a game, and I'd love to have more free time to keep trying, but I also want to try as many games as possible!

Hope this helps, and please do let me know if you keep developing Switch!

Submitted

Absolutely, I completely understand your approach.

Personally, I'm inclined to try out as many games as possible in order to offer ratings and comments on a maximum number of them before the game jam's voting period comes to a close...

The intention behind this post was precisely to provide a broader perspective of my game to those who might have become stuck ( without the need to complete it ), as Level 4 only scratches the surface of "Switch".

I anticipate that, like myself, you'll likely take more time to revisit the games you've particularly enjoyed ( to finish them and possibly provide a more comprehensive constructive critique ) once the voting period concludes.

PS : Yes, I do have plans to continue developing "Switch" beyond the game jam ( my aim is to include around 80-100 distinct levels for an official release, offering several hours of gameplay ). I've received a substantial amount of feedback for improvements, and I intend to overhaul the platforming system for enhanced ball control. Additionally, I'll be adding leaderboards for each level and the ability to select preferred controls within the game...