Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How was your 1. GDevelop Gamejam experience?

A topic by VirtualJourney Gamedesign created Feb 26, 2022 Views: 183 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted(+1)

Hi all,

now that we are all in rating fever, i wanted to give you a little break from this for a moment and give you the opportunity to tell something about your experience in the 10 days of developing a game in GDevelop. This was inspired by other posts in the community.

I am curious to know how it went for you, how you planned, did your timeline fit, were there any hurdles and did you have to cancel some features that were planned? How was it to work on your own or in a team? Was it your first time participating in a jam or even first time ever game development? 

As for me it was a sine curve between fun and work. I know when i saw the announcement for the jam i was completely into it and couldn't wait for it to begin. I have now years of experience in GDevelop but in this jam i realized that i haven't used a lot of features yet. So the 10 days were really tense. I sat down to the game after work almost every day very often into the late night. At the end i had to cancel some features and the game looks a little different from what i have had in mind at first. Ultimately there are some bugs and the graphics are not finished. There are even bugs that came in because i did some last minute changes and couldn't recognize them
in the hurry. For me it was the first time in a jam and also my first complete game i published somewhere in the internet. Overall i had lots of fun developing the game and i can't believe that i did it in time :)

Now tell me about your experience!

Submitted

It has been super fun for me too! i wish for a second edition of this game jam to repeat the adventure hehe

Submitted

Hello,
Super nice idea of topic.

So my experience of the Jam. First thing first, I was super excited to participate in this Jam.
After last year and the release of my biggest project so far, I was struggling starting a new project, experimenting with different ideas, different engine (hello Godot); so this jam occasion was really an opportunity for me to just let it go, focus on a one week project, finish it, release it and have a lot of feedbacks and ultimatly have fun.

I began the jam, trying to plan as much as can within the limited time I got (which is already more than many jammers). I fixed 20 hours .
Obviously that was total bullshit 馃ぃ I spend nearly 45 hours on it (yes I took notes).
Even if I largely go beyond my prevision, I think I had quite an healthy Jam overall, I didn't work on Sunday neither on Tuesday, and sleep 8 hours/day (馃枙 crunch).

What I struggle the most within the first days was dealing with bugs.
Indeed with a 馃幉 based game you couldn't afford to let some bugs which could ruin all the experience.
Unfortunatly even if I was experienced with GDevelop some of the features I wanted to develop where unecessary complicated to reproduce inside GDevelop (developer in real life, I now exactly what things I wanted and how to implement it but not in the specific context of Gdevelop).
Finaly after several days of trying and experimenting, I finaly got it working (I was on the verge on being demoralized and quit the jam 馃檭)

These difficulties away, the jam last final stretch was quite happy, with a friend of mine doing the adaptative music, and my loved ones actually enjoying the game.

Once submitted I was quite happy with the result.
I don't think I'll win something but I don't think it was the point overall.

I really enjoyed making this jam and testing all the other games !

Congrats everyone, 
Take care 馃挅