Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Newbie with GB Breakout

A topic by metalman42 created Oct 03, 2016 Views: 539 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted (1 edit)

Hello! I'm having a ton of fun and even more existential rage learning to make games, and this jam is really motivating me not to just drop it and play Hearthstone when things get difficult. I know many of you could probably make Breakout in your sleep, but I decided to make the best Breakout clone I could in the time I have! Please pop over and take a look at my progress if you can!

https://metalman42.itch.io/gbjam5-breakout

Submitted

Bump for day 4 progress! Graphics are pretty much the same but it's much more of a game now. Lives you can lose, levels can be completed, and beeps will be booped! Still some bugs to be squashed and big stuff to add, but I'm pretty proud of it.
Had to remove HTML5 preview because it was running really slow and I don't know why. I'll make that a focus in the future - for now I'll keep it windows download only.

Submitted

good game dude.

Submitted

Thanks!

Submitted (2 edits)

Nice entry, arkanoid is allways fun. Will love play your game too.

As a sugestion, in case you like it, you can add a more advanced light using de background color isede the blocks, or dithering (dithering is allways controversy, it's a matter of taste), like de example:

I wish a good work flow to you.

Submitted (1 edit)

That's a good idea, thanks! I used some random dithering on the ball and paddle sprites, but I kept the bricks clean so the cracks would show more. If I have time I'll create more powerup bricks and I might use dithering to keep those distinct.

I really like the background color line though! It really makes the blocks pop. I'm stealing that immediately. Thanks a ton!

Submitted

I uploaded a new build! New features include:

• Nintendo-style splash screen
  • Multiple levels, and you go to the next one when you break all the block in a level
  • Graphical improvements inspired by Paulo above
  • Gameplay tweaks in general

If you get a chance, give it a shot and tell me what you think!

Submitted

Implemented pause! I thought there'd be an in-engine "Pause" function but GMS apparently doesn't have that. I was intimidated by the idea of pausing everything myself, but it turns out it was pretty easy! I do set the speed of the ball using "speed" though, so at first I stopped everything else but the ball would just venture out into the great beyond, unfettered by all the pesky collision code.

Submitted

OK I submitted it!

Password option is not implemented... That was a little ambitious of me. I kept thinking about how great it would be to do passwords, but actually I had no idea how to do it. Stressing myself out on the last day on little sleep was not working for me, so I decided to cut it short and upload.

Assets used: Font is m3x6 from Daniel Linnsen. Displaying weird on my game but it looks good in everything else... I dunno.

All sound effects created in bxfr. Music is made in Abundant-Music.com, using the seed "My Strawberry". I ran the midi through GXSCC, a japanese chiptune program, to convert it from midi pianos and electric guitars to actual chiptunes. I later learned you can set instruments to square and other waves in Abundant Music, so that was unnecessary.

Was planning to add more powerups, levels, and features like level titles and quotes. I might go back and do some work on it after a nap, but right now I'm drained. Thanks to everyone who commented or played the game! It's not perfect, but it's a game and I made it.