Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Hotfix for game-breaking bug after-the-fact?

A topic by ModalModule created Sep 27, 2022 Views: 140 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)

Gosh, I wish I could've used the extension to get some sleep, but I had to work today. In my tiredness I made a quick change (to fix another bug) and like an idiot didn't test it everywhere, and turns out it broke the weapon get screen. I know exactly what to do to fix it but was wondering if I could post the fix without violating the rules of the jam etc? I guess I can just post it as the "post jam" version, but I'd really prefer people to play a non-broken version of the game y'know?

(+1)

According to this post by Polyducks, you can contact him on Discord, and you may be allowed to upload your corrected version.

Jam HostSubmitted

Thanks, Mossieur Patate. New uploads have been universally unlocked now because bug fixes were widely requested. As this is a no-prize jam, I'm not as concerned about cheating as I was last year.

Submitted

How do you feel about a balancing patch? I already submitted the fix for the crash, so I can wait to release this one till after voting

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

use your best judgement on this one. If you patch it, make it clear in the description.

Submitted(+1)

ya that's the direction I decided to go. Thanks! :)

Oh; so, I have a question: I had a ‘working’ game (as a Game Boy ROM) ready by the end of the submissions, although it was only a really small beginning of something (I totally lacked time, so this is a crude first attempt at a Game Boy game) and still somewhat buggy/non-optimised.

I thought it was not worth to submit it, but seeing that some people still did submit their unfinished work (mind you, I still have the core mechanics, while some unfinished entries I saw lacked some) and that after all, this could be an occasion to get limited technical feedback and grant ratings to other games, do you accept in this case late submissions (through the special form)? Absolutely no cheating intended, I kept the game jam version of the program as is, and this is a total outsider. This is nothing really serious, I was just wondering how you viewed really unfinished entries and if you would rather have them or not. Thanks in advance, whatever the answer is!

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

Yes! Show your unfinished work! It's a game jam and we need to accept that things aren't perfect.