Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Free assets from Unity Assetstore

A topic by crstrskp created May 27, 2021 Views: 294 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 3

In the rules it says: 

• Using paid assets is NOT allowed, but free assets and those under an open source license are allowed.

In regards of free assets from the Unity Assetstore, I just found out the license these are under does not permit redistribution. derstanding is that, I'm not allowed to put these on github. Furthermore, I'm not allowed to upload my project containing such assets.

So my question is:
- Projects containing free assets from unity assetstore under the Standard Unity Asset Store EULA is not allowed to submit, correct?

- Are there any good tips on how to still make use of assets under such license? I.e. something like having them in a directory that is ignored by git and then create something that prompts the user when the project is opened up, to acquire all such assets? 

There are several ways to go about.

1. make a link to the assets you need in the project, so people can get them themselves.

2. if the assets are simple enough, take a try at Blender or drawing them yourself.

Submitted (2 edits)

OK we got an answer from Zesix, saying it's OK to use free assets from the Unity Asset Store.

Sounds nice. Unfortunately, I stopped working on my game when finding out about the licensing as my project was heavily entangled in free assets from the Asset Store and I thought it was not allowed. 

Hope you're having a good game jam. Best of luck

I think it is also important to note that when you say 'heavily entangled', it almost seems to state that it isn't just artwork. Of course the game jam is about showing you can code. It isn't hosted by GameDevTV for no reason. They want to see what you picked up from their courses, I guess...but I might be wrong.

Well, I've used some models, textures and animations. All code and prefabs / scenes are freshly made by myself.

I've had the habit of taking 3rd party assets and structuring them the same way I structure my own assets, which is what I've done here and what I meant by 'heavily entangled'. It might be a bit of an overstatement. 

With my newfound knowledge of the EULA, I will change this habit to have a directory in my project that is to contain all 3rd party assets and have the path to this directory in my .gitignore